Thread: Set a program to run when the computer is idle and to exit nicely when user returns.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Set a program to run when the computer is idle and to exit nicely when user returns.

Anyone know of a way to get something to start up when the computer goes idle for more than 5 minutes (or when the screensaver starts) and then exits cleanly when done or when a user returns, the screensaver turns off, or the computer is no longer idle? I can't find anything inside of the screensaver, power management, or startup programs.

I guess this might have something to do with init.d or runlevels? They are things of which i have a vague notion. If there is no GUI, please be gentle. I know how to use the terminal but I have never written (or used) a shell script.

Basically, I am interested in running an rsync backup to a network drive, which will require first mounting the drive, then making a copy to it, as described in this post.

i would also need to know if there is a way that all this can exit cleanly, like say finish the file it is currently writing before stopping rsync, and then unmount the network share before exiting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Set a program to run when the computer is idle and to exit nicely when user retur

bump