Thread: Microsoft: "Install Damn Small Linux to your flash drive"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Microsoft: "Install Damn Small Linux to your flash drive"

I was looking online to see if you could install Vista onto a flash drive, and I came across this question on Microsoft Technet. The Microsoft guy doesn't really answer the question, but he does link the asker to an article about installing DSL to a flash drive.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...5-f709f16341f1

Can anyone actually tell me if Vista can be installed to a flash drive?
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Microsoft: "Install Damn Small Linux to your flash drive"

I believe it's too resource intensive to do so. Even with Windows XP, the best you can do is create a BartPE or other PE environment and burn it to a CD or build it with isolinux on a USB, and even then it runs quite slowly. And again, that's XP.

So, short answer? No. Long answer? Definitely not. The closest you could get is running a LiveUSB of a distro with Wine with Windows Vista compatibility mode enabled by default.

Of course, if you mean running the installation disc from USB, that's a different story.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Even with Windows XP, the best you can do is create a BartPE or other PE environment and burn it to a CD or build it with isolinux on a USB, and even then it runs quite slowly.
    While I agree with that (I have a xp media live cd that runs as fast as kde with 64M Ram) I believe that flash is quicker. I have not tried either one of these methods below

I just did this method on one of my friends machine and installed the new Windows 7 BETA. The main advantage is that by using USB drive you will be able to install Windows 7/Vista in just 15 minutes. You can also use this bootable USB drive on friend’s computer who doesn’t have a DVD optical drive.
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/

Requirements to install Windows 7 on USB:
    # An USB flash drive with a minimum of 6 GB disk space to install Windows 7 or Vista. You can use a 4 GB drive to install XP.
    # Bootable Windows 7 USB or DVD.
    # Free time
    http://www.intowindows.com/install-windows-7-on-usb/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If you are thinking of installing the entire OS onto a thumb drive, good luck.

The second link that ronnielsen1 posted would be the best bet. That way you would't have to deal with a gigantic USB thumb drive (needing space for the boot partition and the normal file system).

Only downside is that you need a machine capable of running virtualbox.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

You're thread title should have been:

"Some guy that mods an MS forum..."