Thread: Heeeeelllllllllpppp, crash during upgrade

Beans

Heeeeelllllllllpppp, crash during upgrade

Hi

I was upgrading my laptop last night, from 9.10 to 10.04. Everything was going ok, suddenly the laptop froze, and now I cannot even restart Ubuntu at all, I am getting some kinnd of sgv fault error.
    I have downloaded the cd and burned the iso. So I will attemp upgrading from the cd. All the upgrade instructions assume that there is a running Ubuntu. What is the procedure for direct upgrading from cd when there is no ubuntu running?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Heeeeelllllllllpppp, crash during upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by kartal View Post
    Hi

I was upgrading my laptop last night, from 9.10 to 10.04. Everything was going ok, suddenly the laptop froze, and now I cannot even restart Ubuntu at all, I am getting some kinnd of sgv fault error.
    I have downloaded the cd and burned the iso. So I will attemp upgrading from the cd. All the upgrade instructions assume that there is a running Ubuntu. What is the procedure for direct upgrading from cd when there is no ubuntu running?

thanks
    You might see if you can backup with the live cd what you want to save. Also the alternative iso has a upgrade keeping stuff option I have never used it though,

Beans

wilee-nilee
    Where do I download the alternative Cd? Is it different than the normal iso download?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kartal View Post
    wilee-nilee
    Where do I download the alternative Cd? Is it different than the normal iso download?
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/current/
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but the instant notification always is full of bugs for me.

I can't guarantee this will work, it probably wont, but if you have stuff backed up, then it is worth a try, I think a fresh install will be the best shot, if you have no graphic card problems.
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; May 18th, 2010 at 04:19 AM.