Thread: Introduction to Programming

Beans

Introduction to Programming

Just wondering how to develop small programs just like i would do for winjdo0ws using the visual studio environment.

I want to make something like the forms applications of visual studio or maybe a console application but i would prefer to use the forms application kind of thing.

The thing is i have no idea where to start. I tried having a look in google but since i dont have any information on how to program in ubuntu i have no idea what programming language ill be using or what environment ill be using i cant really narrow down my results.

I have already installed some environments though since i am not currently at my computer i cannot tell you what environments these were. I will upldate this post soon with whatever environment i am using but i found something which is of a similar sort of environmet to the visual studio one. It allows you to create forms and buttons and other controls BUT I rubn into problems when i try to run the program since i have no compiler/interperater for the language which happens to be C# (I have knowledge of c# so i thought it would be a good place to start)

All help will be appreciated
    I am a geekpolice Student

Beans

Re: Introduction to Programming

If you're interested in developing in C#, then you may want to have a look at Mono (unless this is what you're already using), which allows you to develop and run .NET applications in a Linux environment. Otherwise, you can give Python/GTK a try - if you Google those terms you should be able to find some more information. Many parts of Ubuntu are written in Python.

Beans

Gambas may be a good start for you.

http://gambas.sourceforge.net/en/main.html

It's similar to Visual Basic but not close enough that you could automatically port code from VB to Gambas, but if you're familiar with VB, it should be easy to pick up.

I believe it's in the repos but it would be good to check how recent it is compared to what's on the sourceforge site.

The other option is Lazarus which might be a better fit as it's cross platform (Windows/Mac/Linux) and thus would be easier to port your apps. It's basically an open source clone of Delphi using Free Pascal. It was in the repos last I checked and is quite good if Pascal is your thing.

http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/

Beans

Well I have used VB and C# before but I really would like to write some programs for the Ubuntu operating system if thats possible , which im sure it is
    I am a geekpolice Student