Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Encrypted directory with EncFS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Encrypted directory with EncFS

All is now O.K. Ignore my earlier question please. The files are not visible now. Thanks

Beans

Hi,

for all those who are on Kubuntu:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kencfs
    The only thing I cannot work out - sorry about the dumb question - but what kind of data do you put in there? Or is this worth another thread?
    repartitioning your installation / forever noob / Desktop on Debian Lenny / IBM T41 purring along on bog Kubuntu

Beans

You mean, what kind of data do you want to keep encrypted? Could be financial information. A personal journal. Seditious material. You name it.

Beans

Thank you scarpent, so far so good. I have this file with say all my passwords (although https://www.boxknox.com is a good alternative for those on a number of machines).

What is the normal working process now - do I simply mount the encrypted drive and tie in any files on there in my address book, my email programme or my bookmarks into firefox automatically? If so, then the programme is excellent!

Or is the above not the case? If not, could you briefly explain how you use it?

Thanks in advance!
    repartitioning your installation / forever noob / Desktop on Debian Lenny / IBM T41 purring along on bog Kubuntu

Beans

Sure -- you just use it however you'd like. You can keep your Firefox files in there if you wanted to, and make .mozilla be a symbolic link in to the mounted clear text volume. It might be mounted most of the time you use your computer and therefore accessible by anyone with root or your logon, but if you shut the machine down or if it was stolen, you'd be protected from financial info being stolen (for example).

(For passwords in Windows I've used Password Safe. I'm planning on using Password Gorilla in Ubuntu, which is based on Password Safe. It's a nice password manager that may provide more than a simple password file. For example, it has it's own password and can be configured to lock after so many minutes of inactivity.)

Beans

Thanks once again, scarpent. I have installed it and put this http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=54078 on top to have a nice little GUI to go with it. My post from a couple of days ago (aka apt-get install) obviously does not work, but the above link is for a debian package which works a treat with (K)ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ingo View Post
    Thanks once again, scarpent. I have installed it and put this http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=54078 on top to have a nice little GUI to go with it. My post from a couple of days ago (aka apt-get install) obviously does not work, but the above link is for a debian package which works a treat with (K)ubuntu.
    Thank you! Very nice tool.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frédéric Perrin View Post
    EncFS seems to be what I'm looking for, but I have one question (which seems to be in line with rosslaird's) :
    What will happen if, say, the power goes down while I'm using my encrypted partition or if I forgot to unmount the clear partition before switching off the computer ?
    Of course, we're not talking about the same application, but this may be of relevance:

Note that TrueCrypt never saves any decrypted data to a disk – it only stores them temporarily in RAM (memory). Even when the volume is mounted, data stored in the volume is still encrypted. When you restart Windows or turn off your computer, the volume will be dismounted and all files stored on it will be inaccessible (and encrypted). Even when power supply is suddenly interrupted (without proper system shut down), all files stored on the volume will be inaccessible (and encrypted). To make them accessible again, you have to mount the volume. To do so, repeat Steps 13-18.
    That passage is about Truecrypt.

Beans

I'm working off of a feisty install and I noticed that /dev/fuse was group root not group fuse. Is this a bug in feisty? I set the group to fuse using chgrp...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for this thread! It's been mentioned elsewhere on ubuntuforums.org, but here's a GTK-compatible tray app for managing encfs:

http://www.getdeb.net/app/Cryptkeeper

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast