Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 'Bout time to stop torrenting movies, kids

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: 'Bout time to stop torrenting movies, kids

Quote Originally Posted by MindSz View Post
    ...(Damn, I wish I could download Cheez-its)...
    In the future we might have matter replicators like in Star Trek. I bet when that happens there will be websites where you can download recipes for replicating Cheez-Its and other snacks. Shortly there after I'm sure the all of the manufacturers of snacks will be clamoring for the outlaw of matter replicators, matter replicator websites hosting free recepies to be taken down, going on about how replication will destroy the economy and put thousands of Kellogg's employees out of work, everyone from 12yo kids to 80yo grandmothers will be sued or threatened with legal action for illegally replicating (stealing!) Cheez-Its, ISPs will start monitoring their customer's Internet usage for illegal download of Cheez-Its recipes, and sponsor commercials about how replicating Cheez-Its is the same as breaking into a grocery store and stealing boxes of Cheez-Its from off the shelves.
    Last edited by NMFTM; May 17th, 2010 at 11:14 PM.
    The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing at all, for certain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ethics of Intellectual Piracy

Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    While that would obviously be illegal in a number of ways, I'm not sure if that would even be considered theft in the first place. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

I'm not arguing whether piracy is right or wrong, I'm arguing it's different from theft.

yes yes yes, piracy involves the sea and high adventure.

theft involves you walking to work cause your car got joy ride

a difference.

plus this is just more of the
    home taping is killing music

music is culture.

people will steal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Guy View Post
    I have thought about the possibility of making all intellectual property completely free and using tax money to make movies and stuff - but such a system would probably need to be global.
    oh and... ummmm can't say what commi....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Who supports piracy here?
    Windows 7 Home Premium Dell XPS L502X i7-2630 NV 540M 750GB
    Kubuntu 11.10 | Asus eeepc 1005pe

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    This is so flawed .

So if your neighbor cannot afford a car he can take your car
    If he cannot afford a computer he can have your one
    He can break into the local Super Market and take what ever food he pleases.
    No, but if you could replicate physical objects like you can with digital data then I would be happy for him to replicate my car, my computer and whatever food I have.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Guy View Post
    As I predicted, a few people disagreed with my earlier post. Their reasons being:
    1. Piracy is not equivalent to theft
    2. Movies are too expensive - if you can't afford them then it harms no-one to pirate them
    3. Legitimate movies contain anti-piracy adverts - the pirate copies do not

My answers to this is:
    1. No, piracy is not theft (despite what the anti-piracy adverts would lead you to believe) - but if nobody paid for movies, who would make them?
    2. I'm more angry at the people who can afford movies but use pirate copies anyway - if there weren't so many people like this then I imagine movies would be a bit cheaper.
    3. The anti-piracy adverts are high up on the list of stupidest inventions in the world - I see nothing wrong with using a copy protection cracker to fast forward through these adverts.

I have thought about the possibility of making all intellectual property completely free and using tax money to make movies and stuff - but such a system would probably need to be global.
    Look around, there are plenty of videos being made just because people like making videos.
    Same for music and programs (I'm someone who depends on income from writing code, but I also write programs just because I like to, and the more people who use them for free the better).

The simple fact is file sharing is here, and it won't ever go away.
    The recording industry was actually the ''data delivery'' industry, but the internet can do what they did faster, cheaper and easier. They're finished, but they won't go without a fight.

The music industry will narrow to the concert industry.
    The movie industry will narrow to the cinema industry.
    TV will go ad-supported streaming on request.

I go to the cinema much more often than most people I know, but I also download movies.
    I go to concerts, but I also download music (although I'd prefer to stream it).
    I watch TV with ads but I also download TV shows.
    I'm not excusing my behaviour, btw (it doesn't need excusing) just pointing out that cinema, concerts and tv ads can co-exist with sharing/streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    This is so flawed .

So if your neighbor cannot afford a car he can take your car
    If he cannot afford a computer he can have your one
    He can break into the local Super Market and take what ever food he pleases.
    You now have no car. You now have no computer. The supermarket now has no food.
    Copying a file deprives no-one of anything, unless you would otherwise have purchased the file.
    Last edited by formaldehyde_spoon; May 18th, 2010 at 04:53 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by NCLI View Post
    I'd rather have the lawsuit and pay a huge fine. Yes, I'm serious.
    You need to spend some times away form the computer....
    Running a forum? Check out MyBB.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345