Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the dissadvantages of Maverick Meerkat right now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What are the dissadvantages of Maverick Meerkat right now?

Should i download and install Maverick Meerkat right now what are the problems i should face? did grub 2 install process is better now?
    is there an fglrx driver now? how about kernel what kernel is there right now? and what about plymouth and all sort of other things like compiz
    should they work better now? and what about file manager is there any hope of a file manager better then the current nautilus version?

Because too be honest i wasn't thrilled with Final lucid lynx it still had problems with plymouth and fglrx still had problems with installing
    grub 2 on my computer,ubiquity process took ages to install the dvd version(about 40 minutes or more) fglrx driver did not had support
    with newer kernels other then 2.6.32.

And frankly the biggest problem i had wi is how to manage files with the current files managers you have there are so limited compare to
    windows 7 file manager,for instance you can't arrange pictures according to dimenssions and etc and all sort of other options that you can
    see in the attached picture i just felt that it's too limited for me.

And i also didn't liked that there are not enaf gui's support you relly too much on the terminal you should improve the gui's part if you want to attract more people to use linux.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (9.0 KB, 353 views)
    Last edited by aviramof; May 17th, 2010 at 01:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: What are the dissadvantages of Maverick Meerkat right now?

Eh!

The problem is that Maverick is still lucid just now apart from a few upgrades.

See the release schedule sticky.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aviramof View Post
    Should i download and install Maverick Meerkat
    You can not 'download' Maverick yet. Has to be 'dist-upgrade' from Lucid at this stage of the game
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aviramof View Post
    Should i download and install Maverick Meerkat right now what are the problems i should face?
    No. Especially since you give the impression that you're fairly new at this. Maverick development has just started, and it's going to go to all heck and back before it's done.
    and what about file manager is there any hope of a file manager better then the current nautilus version?
    I doubt Nautilus is going to make great gains in the next six months, unless Maverick goes to GNOME 3. Nautilus isn't the only file manager on Linux, though. Have you tried Kubuntu? KDE may be more to your liking.

And frankly the biggest problem i had wi is how to manage files with the current files managers you have there are so limited compare to
    windows 7 file manager,for instance you can't arrange pictures according to dimenssions and etc and all sort of other options that you can
    see in the attached picture i just felt that it's too limited for me.
    I don't know if there is a file manager available that will do this, but there are a number of photo organizers. As I mentioned, you might like KDE because it has a couple of file managers that are both very powerful.

And i also didn't liked that there are not enaf gui's support you relly too much on the terminal you should improve the gui's part if you want to attract more people to use linux.
    What did you have to do on the command line?

Beans
    Distro

I am not so new to linux but i stopped using it because i felt that i can't continue to use it's uncomftarble file managers it just wasn't as comftarble as windows 7 file manager
    and at times i was forced to boot back to windows 7 to do spesifie things like sort pictures according to dimenssions and etc.

and as for the terminal i did a lot of things there that i didn't had a problem with them but the biggest problem i had was that i was not able to delete files
    from ubuntu partition except from the home folder without using commands like sudo rm -rf and etc because of strange permissions problems despite the
    fact that i am the sole administrator i discoverd that taking owenrwhip here is very hard or impossible via nautilues and that was incredibly annoying.

And like i said this is pretty much why i stopped using ubuntu at all just because of the bad file manager and the fact that is not much i can do to improve it and i didn't
    liked other files manager i tried either maybe dolphine would be better when i try it in the future most likely only in july when 10.4.1 version be released.

Beans

That is very strange. I have no trouble at all in deleting anything from my installs from nautilus, even in other installations.

I can delete things that I shouldn't even think of deleting. I have gotten over that but it was no problem to do it.

I suspect that you have nautilus configured in a new and different way. I would go to synaptic and purge it and reinstall it. Do not mess with the settings and read the man page.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post

I suspect that you have nautilus configured in a new and different way. I would go to synaptic and purge it and reinstall it. Do not mess with the settings and read the man page.
    Removing nautilus (or any other app) still leaves user specific config files to $HOME
    And thus reinstalling nautilus once again, what happens...

Nautilus has it's pro's & con's...

People who might be thinking of using devel version of entire system, should be little more experienced in using it than average Joe.

So even though there's no "disadvantages" yet, there will be!
    I won't answer to difficult guestions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by taavikko View Post
    Removing nautilus (or any other app) still leaves user specific config files to $HOME
    And thus reinstalling nautilus once again, what happens...

Nautilus has it's pro's & con's...

People who might be thinking of using devel version of entire system, should be little more experienced in using it than average Joe.

So even though there's no "disadvantages" yet, there will be!
    Well, you can decrease my ignorance by telling me if purging gets rid of those .whatever files.

I take it from what you say that it does not.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

In a word, any/all problems.

Maverick is up for testing, so right now, a whole world of problems could be waiting, your system could be hosed anytime you run update, it's part of the fun of testing in the development cycle.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    Well, you can decrease my ignorance by telling me if purging gets rid of those .whatever files.

I take it from what you say that it does not.
    No it doesn't.
    It removes the system-wide settings, not the ones users have made.

This is because if user decides to reinstall the application,
    it will have the desired settings.

if wishing to revert to default settings, removing the right .* will suffice.
    I won't answer to difficult guestions.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast