Thread: Karmic slowly deteriorating

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Karmic slowly deteriorating

In Karmic, Places has stopped working. It just thinks for a minute, then stops without opening the requested location or giving any error message. Also, Open Office Presentation, which failed during a lecture, forcing me to boot Vista and show images one by one.

But my first problem was that I can't get my Airplus modem to work under Ubuntu at all. Others have had the same problem, with various awkward workarounds that I can't get to work.

I wanted to remove Karmic and load Jaunty, in the hopes that I can get my Airplus to work. I am in Russia spending the summer on the dacha near St. Petersburg (no phone, so I use a cell-based service called Skylink for internet contact. I am a newbie to Ubuntu, Linux in general, am not a technical user at all, that is, do not know any programming languages.

I need Places to move data from various folders under Karmic to an external drive so I can get rid of Karmic without losing the data. Can I use commands in the terminal to move data?

I really, really don't want to go back to Windows. Can anyone help me get my files off to a safe place so I can try a different version of Ubuntu?

My computer is an Asus laptop.

Thanks all, in advance, for any help.

Rockcarver

P.S. The header on the left says I have Xubuntu, but I just have Ubuntu
    Last edited by Rockcarver; May 17th, 2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Add info about failure

Beans

Re: Karmic slowly deteriorating

Quote Originally Posted by Rockcarver View Post
    In Karmic, Places has stopped working. It just thinks for a minute, then stops without opening the requested location or giving any error message. Also, Open Office Presentation, which failed during a lecture, forcing me to boot Vista and show images one by one. But my first problem was that I can't get my Airplus modem to work under Ubuntu at all. Others have had the same problem, with various awkward workarounds that I can't get to work. I wanted to remove Karmic and load Jaunty, in the hopes that I can get my Airplus to work. I am in Russia spending the summer on the dacha near St. Petersburg (no phone, so I use a cell-based service called Skylink for internet contact. I am a newbie to Ubuntu, Linux in general, am not a technical user at all, that is, do not know any programming languages. I need Places to move data from various folders under Karmic to an external drive so I can get rid of Karmic without losing the data. Can I use commands in the terminal to move data?I really, really don't want to go back to Windows. Can anyone help me get my files off to a safe place so I can try a different version of Ubuntu?My computer is an Asus laptop. Thanks all, in advance, for any help.RockcarverP.S. The header on the left says I have Xubuntu, but I just have Ubuntu
    Thanks for your sharing! This is what I'm looking for, I understand this part.