Thread: Build Lucid VM with vm-builder on Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Build Lucid VM with vm-builder on Hardy

I have a server running Ubuntu 8.04. I'd like to use the vm-builder utility (a.k.a. python-vm-builder, vmbuilder and ubuntu-vm-builder) to build a virtual machine image for KVM to run on this server.

I want my virtual machine to run Ubuntu 10.04, but I can't do that because the vm-builder utility only recognizes Ubuntu releases before and up to the version of Ubuntu on which the utility is run.

I'm wondering if there's a way around this without having to upgrade my server to Ubuntu 10.04, which is not really feasible at the moment. I tried installing a more recent version of the vm-builder utility using the Lucid package, but it won't install because of unmet dependencies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Build Lucid VM with vm-builder on Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    I have a server running Ubuntu 8.04. I'd like to use the vm-builder utility (a.k.a. python-vm-builder, vmbuilder and ubuntu-vm-builder) to build a virtual machine image for KVM to run on this server.

I want my virtual machine to run Ubuntu 10.04, but I can't do that because the vm-builder utility only recognizes Ubuntu releases before and up to the version of Ubuntu on which the utility is run.

I'm wondering if there's a way around this without having to upgrade my server to Ubuntu 10.04, which is not really feasible at the moment. I tried installing a more recent version of the vm-builder utility using the Lucid package, but it won't install because of unmet dependencies.
    Build it on a different 10.04 machine.

Please put all VM related questions in the Virtualization forum.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way