Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lynx not lucid at all - more like mud

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Lynx not lucid at all - more like mud

OK. I unexpectedly got "upgraded" to lucid lynx just now. And i've rebooted since, but the problems are still there.

First thing: when you start up you get "An error occurred while mounting /proc/bus/usb" and you have to hit S for the boot to continue

Second thing: the workplace switcher has gone down to 1 workplace, and although I can get multiple columns, i cant get the rows... why no rows requested? makes no sense

Third thing: all windows open on top of each other and the top bar which contains the minimize button is missing, so you're stuck with them where they are - AND you can't pick them up to move them.

Fourth thing: the windows don't have tabs in the status bar, so you can't move them to another workspace.

Fifth thing: the version of firefox that came with it doesn't work with tab kit, which is pretty much essential

PLEASE someone tell me how to fix all this stuff (well, probably not 5, that's just a wait thing, i guess)

What a terrible upgrade.

Beans

Re: Lynx not lucid at all - more like mud

If you dont mind i would just do i fresh install of ubuntu 9.10 or 10.04 are you using any usb devices on your computer ? ie mouse or keyboard? just backup what you absolutely have to have and fresh install btw i think you may have hit the wrong button in update manager i did that once and had the magical upgrade to 10.04 with a working mouse but no keyboard as you can imagine its pretty hard to login but that was with my desky with usb keyboard and ps/2 mouse lol and for the firefox thing just update firefox then open firefox and go to addons and hit find updates (which finds update for the addons XD)

are you using a custom motherboard ?
    or a offbrand motherboard cause that might cause the proc/bus/usb error which means that your usb device should work?

Beans

Had the exact same problem on a box. Did a different box before that and it ran fine. What I forgot to do was to do a complete UPDATE (apt-get update) before the upgrade. I figure thats what did it.

Did you do an update/reboot before the Upgrade?

Reinstall I hate to say.

coffee

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm not sure how to do a reinstall of Lynx - and a lot of stuff just isn't working. For example, I tried to use terminal, but that won't work at all, so i can't edit the file to take out the line about /proc.... It opens, but it doesn't accept keyboard input. As you can probably tell, my keyboard is working fine - and so is my mouse. This i guess is a bonus.

Right now i'm working in firefox and I have 2 windows overlapping. Luckily the top ine is quite small, being a BBC iPlayer Console (I was listening to the radio earlier), but it is covering the File... etc menus at the top and there seems no way to get it to go away.

I think I'll just revert to Karmic, as I have a disk for that. And it worked before. Oh god I hope it will work after a reinstall.

In answer to people's question, I didn't even realize I was doing an upgrade, I thought it was the regular daily updates. So, i think all the normal updates had been done, but cant be sure.

And I just went with the default answer for all the upgrade questions, so I would assume that it SHOULD be working ok. Grrrr
    Last edited by tiggsy; May 16th, 2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: to answer someones question

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tiggsy View Post
    OK. I unexpectedly got "upgraded" to lucid lynx just now. And i've rebooted since, but the problems are still there.

First thing: when you start up you get "An error occurred while mounting /proc/bus/usb" and you have to hit S for the boot to continue

Second thing: the workplace switcher has gone down to 1 workplace, and although I can get multiple columns, i cant get the rows... why no rows requested? makes no sense

Third thing: all windows open on top of each other and the top bar which contains the minimize button is missing, so you're stuck with them where they are - AND you can't pick them up to move them.

Fourth thing: the windows don't have tabs in the status bar, so you can't move them to another workspace.

Fifth thing: the version of firefox that came with it doesn't work with tab kit, which is pretty much essential

PLEASE someone tell me how to fix all this stuff (well, probably not 5, that's just a wait thing, i guess)

What a terrible upgrade.
    How do you get "unexpectedly" upgraded?

I've tested upgrades to Lucid from both Karmic and Hardy and there are at least three chances to say NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

In answer to people's question, I didn't even realize I was doing an upgrade, I thought it was the regular daily updates.
    I understand your frustration, but at least to my knowledge this can't be true.

The button to UPGRADE to a newer release is completely different and separate in the update manager.
    As a matter of fact, in the settings you can disable being given the possibility to upgrade.

You plan to reinstall Karmic back (which would mean you know how to do it) but you say you don't know how to clean install Lucid??? Absolutely the same procedure.

Backup your data, and if going to try a clean install Lucid is a much better choice. One of the reasons being it's LTS. Karmic will stop being supported relatively soon, and then you will have to think about upgrade or clean install anyway. Why not do it now?

Probably your upgrade went wrong so there are lots of hiccups with your system right now as you explained. But clean install is always better than upgrading.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The reason i chose the downgrade was because i actually like Karmic. Also I already have a disk, and from what i've read there's some doubt as to whether I'll be able to write a new one for lucid

But anyway.

I just downgraded. Now i'm getting:
    Code:
    mount: mount point /dev/shm does not exist
    mountall: mount /dev/shm [313] terminated with status 32
    mountall: Filesystem could not be mounted: dev/shm
    fsck from util-linux-ng 2.16
    /init: mountall main process [309] terminated with status 4
    /dev/sda1: clean 244902/15073280 files, 46185872/60291937 blocks (check in 3 mounts)
    Mount of root filesystem failed
    A maintenance shell will now be started
    a reboot did not fix this

unexpectedly, because I was working on something and didn't read the update box carefully, just clicked to do the upgrade. Then when it was downloading everything I thought I might as well go with it. Wish i hadn't

I can't backup. I have insufficient room. I did buy another disk for this purpose, but a friend's disk failed, so i gave it to him. I can't afford to get another one right now, and anyway, don't have time to wait for it to arrive.
    Last edited by tiggsy; May 16th, 2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: more info

Beans

The reason i chose the downgrade was because i actually like Karmic. Also I already have a disk, and from what i've read there's some doubt as to whether I'll be able to write a new one for lucid

But anyway.

I just downgraded. Now i'm getting:
    Code:
    fsck from util-linux-ng 2.16
    /init: mountall main process [309] terminated with status 4
    /dev/sda1: clean 244902/15073280 files, 46185872/60291937 blocks (check in 3 mounts)
    Mount of root filesystem failed
    A maintenance shell will now be started
    a reboot did not fix this

unexpectedly, because I was working on something and didn't read the update box carefully, just clicked to do the upgrade. Then when it was downloading everything I thought I might as well go with it. Wish i hadn't

I can't backup. I have insufficient room. I did buy another disk for this purpose, but a friend's disk failed, so i gave it to him. I can't afford to get another one right now, and anyway, don't have time to wait for it to arrive.
    have you tried a fresh install ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Right. I just did the nearest I can do to a fresh install, as I cannot backup.

The result seems to be pretty much the same as before.

Still no pickupable bar, and windows still get stuck where they are. I did manage to get round the problem with the extra window on firefox by using Alt-F which closed the main one, then closing the second one through System Monitor. On reboot, I got a window where I could deselect the second window, so that's ok. But

I still don't get offered rows on the workplace switcher, so I can only have a long line, which is awkward to use, as I have the switcher in the right hand panel for ease of use.

In addition, I now have a lot of stuff in my top panel which are just black squares, and firefox is one of those. But i guess these may repair themselves. I've noticed this on previous upgrades.

But why are there no longer any convenient for switching tabs in the bottom bar (status bar?) and why is there no way to move windows? What kind of fools designed this version anyway?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you have an install CD of any version, use that to wipe your partition clean and then reinstall fresh. That'll fix things.
    Learn something new and have fun every day! Ubuntu!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast