Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Internet Connection?

Beans

Mobile Internet Connection?

I feel a bit stupid having to ask for help on this as I'm sure that the answer will be something fairly obvious. I'm completely new to Ubuntu and can't see anywhere that I can make my USB modem make the actual connection to the internet.

I've running Ubuntu 9.10 on my Dell Inspiron 8500 - can't use 10.04 because of various issues. I've set up a network connection using System/Preferences/Network Connections - Mobile Broadband. However I can't find out how to make the actual connection. I've searched the forums looking for an answer but with no luck. Can anyone poit me in the right direction?

Beans

Re: Mobile Internet Connection?

What model modem are you using? They are all a bit different.

Many of these devices double as a flash drive, which stores the .exe files used to install the Windows software. If yours is like this, you'll need to "flip" the device so it's recognized as a modem. Do you have a flash drive listed when the device is plugged in?

Beans

Hi Thanks for your quick respose.

It's an Alcatel One Touch X060S HSDPA USB Modem. When I plug it in it appears as a USB drive. So how do I flip it?

Beans

I have a different modem (Cricket A600) but I use the program usb_modeswitch. I believe 9.10 ships with usb_modeswitch already, though I could be mistaken.

You can check to see if it's installed in Synaptics or run this command:

PHP Code:
    sudo apt-get install usb-modeswitch 
    However, you might want to wait and see if this is the correct procedure for you particular modem.

Beans

I just checked in Synaptic Package Manager and it is not installed so I have kicked off an installation of it. Will it flip the modem automatically?

Beans

Once the program is installed, unplug the modem, and plug it back in and it should take 15-20 seconds to flip. You may have to reboot (don't ask me why) for it to flip properly.

Beans

OK so then how do I connect?

Beans

Click the Network Manger icon and see if you have a mobile broadband connection listed. If so, click that and you should see some green swirling animation in the panel while it dials up and connects, which usually takes a few seconds.

Is the device still listed as a USB drive? If so, that means the modem did not flip and you won't be able to connect.

Beans

I've rebooted and when I plug in the modem it no longer registers as a USB Drive so that seems to be a step forward. Sorry to be so thick but where is the Network Manager that you refer to?

Beans

It's up at the top right of the screen near the speaker and the date. When you click it, there should be a drop down menu listing your various network connections.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast