Thread: Unstable system - how do I check if the correct kernel is loaded

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unstable system - how do I check if the correct kernel is loaded

Hello,

I've just put together a new PC and loaded 10.04 as my os.

I actually loaded 9.10 then upgraded the distro to 10.04.

The PC is a Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H motherboard (V4 bios), a Phenom II x6 1055, 8gig of ram in 2x4gig sticks, 2tb hdd, DVD drive, 750W power supply.

The Video is the on-board version for now. (in system monitor it sees 6 processors and 8 gig of ram, and Kernel Linux 2.6.32-22-generic-pae. There, answered part of my own question!).

The problem I am having is that the system is really slow to do things like open firefox, system monitor, and just about everything. It even crashed to a blank screen with a non-blinking cursor in the top left a little while ago while I tried to copy ~8 gig from USB to Hdd.

How do I find out what the correct kernel is for my CPU (I'm guessing it is not the i386 one) and how do I load this kernel after I find it?

How do I ensure I have a 64 bit kernel loaded?

I know the CPU is only recently released, but it doesn't have any extra instructions (afaik) than the Phenom x4 does, so should I use a kernel for that and see how I go?

Cheers,

Brad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Unstable system - how do I check if the correct kernel is loaded

If you want to use a 64bit kernel, you'll need to install the 64bit version of Ubuntu, just download and install the 64 bit version from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download (click alternate options to select 64 bit)

That said, it's stange that you are having stability issues. The only thing I can think of is the PAE patch making the kernel unstable, but that shouldn't happen either.

My advice would be to reinstall using the 64 bit version and see how that goes.
    My Blog : http://shanetuohy.com
    Linux Counter #425464 ------- Ubuntu Counter # 7082
    Beware of blindly copying and pasting into the terminal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

OK, I could download a whole new cd worth of stuff, but shouldn't I be able to just go to synaptic and find the extra bits I need, and download them only? (I've looked a bit, but my search-fu is weak).

And as I recall from years ago when I last played with linux, wouldn't I then be able to (set it up to) choose which kernel I booted into when I turn the PC on?

Cheers,

Brad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No, you can't just switch to a 64-bit kernel; all the software is still 32-bit and you'd run into all sorts of problems. The only way to switch to 64-bit is to install it fresh.

Something strange is going on - some of the slowness may be due to onboard graphics, but X shouldn't crash when you copy data over USB. Be sure to check the iso integrity with an MD5 sum or use a torrent and verify the disc after burning.
    Last edited by marshmallow1304; May 16th, 2010 at 02:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ok, so the 32-bit and 64-bit versions don't work together.

thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Beans

Hey Brad, what's the latest?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

[changed title] I'm having troubles with my video drivers

Well I got the 64-bit kernel running in a new partition and it seems to be running fine.

However.

I was just using the on-board graphics chip (ati/amd) and it wouldn't do 2560*1600, so I went and got an ati 5850 add in board, as it is the same as the chip set manufacturer, so hopefully less problems.

Now I get 2560*1600, but I don't get flash video (abc iview tv shows) and my ctrl+ scaling in firefox ends up with blocky pictures. This makes me think that I've not got the correct drivers loaded.

I downloaded (and installed) the binary drivers (fglrx) supplied by ati/amd using synaptic, but I also have the X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver loaded.

Should I un-install the X org stuff, and just rely on the fglrx stuff?

The reason I think the setup I have now is not working properly is that in winXP on an athlon 2400 with a ati 1600 video card, on the same screen firefox would ctrl+ scale pictures and not make blocky bits out of them.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: [changed title] I'm having troubles with my video drivers

Hi Brad,

Sorry to hijack your thread. I'm planning of buying the Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H for my next computer. How is it so far? Any other problems beside the resolution issue?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try the drivers from ati website