Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Virus IS the virus?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Anti-Virus IS the virus?

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showt...light=matousec

Apparently most all AV products hook the Win OS services to detect attempts to make changes. And apparently that leaves a hole for malware writers to exploit with multi-core or multi-CPU machines.

It seems 64bit versions of Win are immune though.

I'll admit I've always been suspicious of AV software doing more harm than good. The McAfee meltdown recently just reinforced that belief.
    Patrick McSwain - New 32bit & 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 user as of 5/1/2010.
    Networking new Linux computers into my existing Wintel-based small technical business.
    I was a DOS programmer in a previous life. No UNIX/Linux experience at all.

Beans

Re: Anti-Virus IS the virus?

A link to another Forum proves what ?
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I posted about this in the Cafe a few days ago.

The flaw allows viruses to evade detection when they are already running. It isn't like the viruses wouldn't work unless you had anti-virus.

One thing that amuses me is that when a Windows user finds their computer running slowly, they assume it's a virus causing the slowdown, and it never is. Viruses always try to evade detection and run silently underneath the surface of your computer, so they use as little CPU power as they can.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    A link to another Forum proves what ?
    Seems that thread had links explaining both sides, while many others have been one-sided.

Here's the Register article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05...tch_av_bypass/

Most desktop computers in the world are running AV software containing this flaw. It seemed an interesting story.

Feel free to delete it if it's inappropriate.
    Patrick McSwain - New 32bit & 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 user as of 5/1/2010.
    Networking new Linux computers into my existing Wintel-based small technical business.
    I was a DOS programmer in a previous life. No UNIX/Linux experience at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Using Mcafee is a foolish thing to do anyway, it is a well known AV, and the crackers who write the nasty-ware if they are astute have it written to disable all the major vendors anyway. There are many free more robust AV programs, but the user is the first in line for protection.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You could try avast! Antivirus
    1. It supports Linux
    2. It is free
    3. Is not well known so it will find a virus immediately ( No one has programmed a virus for the mis-detection of avast!. It finds every virus Also if this page had a virus it would block it and tell me no further action is needed.
    Do not PM for Support.
    Ubuntu Austria LoCo Admin
    Projects: Connary Internet Browser

Beans

I agree with the thread title, but I have no proof. So I will go based on my knowledge of system security, theory and gut feeling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

And when you download Adobe flash or Reader you have to download McAfee as well. What are those Windows users in for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by McRat View Post
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showt...light=matousec

Apparently most all AV products hook the Win OS services to detect attempts to make changes. And apparently that leaves a hole for malware writers to exploit with multi-core or multi-CPU machines.

It seems 64bit versions of Win are immune though.

I'll admit I've always been suspicious of AV software doing more harm than good. The McAfee meltdown recently just reinforced that belief.
    totally agree with you

not only that but i bet my home that AV companies sponsor almost all the virus/malware dev offshore, creating the disease and selling you the cure (oldest trick in the book). Yea an awesome business

is a billion dollar industry (so anything and everything happens)

i wouldn't be surprised if Msft also kept their OS unsecured on purpose too, they earn millions by selling these extra security products and expensive enterprise support contracts.

I do not trust any of these companies, the bigger they're the worse.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The best Antivirus Ive found is called Karmic Koala 9.10 Its working very nicely so far!Im sick of fixing windows all the time so Its Ubuntu for me the battles over I won!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast