Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E17 crashes at start

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

E17 crashes at start

I have ubuntu Lucid installed in a virtualbox vm with guest utils addon installed. everything works great, but I wanted to try e17 since I've heard so many great things about it.

I used a thread on these forums to install from svn, and after a couple hours mucking with dependencies I finally got it installed.

I created the e17.desktop file and it shows up in gdm, but when I try to log in to e17, I get a flickering screen and it crashes back to gdm.

I haven't yet tried starting it from command line because I can't figure out how to completely kill gdm and the x server. CTL ALT BACKSPACE seems to have been deprecated/disabled.

Any help y'all can provide will be appreciated, and if you need further information I'll be happy to provide it.

Beans

Re: E17 crashes at start

Does /var/log/Xorg.0.log have any information about the e17 crash?

As for stopping GDM and X, a quick way would be to
    Code:
    sudo service gdm stop
    sudo pkill Xorg
    The way I would start e17 from there would be to alter ~/.xsession to contain
    Code:
    exec enlightenment_start
    Then startx and hope everything works.

(I assume enlightenment_start is the e17 start command from a look at some Arch documentation, if not I apologize, I haven't tried out e17 in a while)
    Last edited by portentum; May 16th, 2010 at 07:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thanks for the quick response. that at least gives me somewhere to start.

my xorg log is at http://www.mack-attack.com/Xorg.0.log.old

this should be the one from the last failed start of e17

when I killed the xserver and ran exec enlightenment_start, i get the following output:

http://www.mack-attack.com/enlightenment_start.txt

when I run exec enlightenment_start from gnome, I get the following:

http://www.mack-attack.com/enlightenment.txt

Beans

Well, I see a segfault there at the end but I have no idea what might have caused it. Hmmm.

As for running exec enlightenment_start, well, if you don't have an X server running e17 can't put itself on a display and will crash like that, which is why I recommend adding exec enlightenment_start to the ~/.xsession file (you can simply comment out anything currently there with #) and then using the startx command. startx will start the X server, then read the ~/.xsession file and start e17 itself.

As for the log from within Gnome, I'm not really certain what's going on there. I'm going to assume it has to do with e17 simply not being happy about an attempt to be started from within another desktop environment for now.

If I misunderstood and you did what I described above with the ~/.xsession file already, sorry, and if not - mind giving it a try? I can try to explain a little better if it's still unclear.
    Last edited by portentum; May 16th, 2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: grammar clean-up at the insistence of my girlfriend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

portentum:

My system doesn't seem to have a ~/.xsession file. I'll go ahead and create one. To be clear, are you saying all it needs in it is one line,

Code:
    exec enlightenment_start
    since startx is what calls .xsession?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bootninja View Post
    portentum:

My system doesn't seem to have a ~/.xsession file. I'll go ahead and create one. To be clear, are you saying all it needs in it is one line,

Code:
    exec enlightenment_start
    since startx is what calls .xsession?
    Correct, just the one line. Let me know how it turns out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

segfault

When I created the .xsession file, and ran startx, the x server would not start.

here's the new log, which I believe will be the same as the last one I posted.

http://www.mack-attack.com/Enlightenment_log.txt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

could this problem have something to do with the fact that I can't seem to find an xorg.conf file? or has that been deprecated since the last time I was mucking around with X?

Beans

segfault

When I created the .xsession file, and ran startx, the x server would not start.

here's the new log, which I believe will be the same as the last one I posted.

http://www.mack-attack.com/Enlightenment_log.txt
    Hmmm, yes, it's looking like you just got a bad svn revision that's segfaulting when it starts.
    I'd say either try updating to the latest revision, assuming it has been updated since, or possibly an older revision - otherwise, those packages linked above by stanca might be the way to go.

Assuming everything compiled ok and the particular svn revision is good, it should have started right up.

could this problem have something to do with the fact that I can't seem to find an xorg.conf file? or has that been deprecated since the last time I was mucking around with X?
    Ubuntu doesn't seem to use xorg.conf anymore, as it's not necessary. I prefer to maintain one simply because I'm stubborn and set in my ways, but that it's missing shouldn't be causing any problems, no.
    Last edited by portentum; May 17th, 2010 at 06:02 AM. Reason: ninja'd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast