Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 facebook notifications

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04 facebook notifications

Hello guys,

ubuntu 10.04 rocks, but I can't seem to get the facebook notifications to work. I can do the facebook chat, the broadcast message, I can even go and check facebook via the broadcast application, but I can't seem to get notifications on new messages from facebook to the notification applet on the top panel in ubuntu.

(You know, the little mail-icon should change color and pop up when someone writes on my wall or personal messages on facebook).

can someone clarify how this is meant to work, and/or how I can make it work

greetings
    -Felix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 facebook notifications

I had the same problem. But then I realized you needed a facebook username, not your log in name. To get a username, just go to http://www.facebook.com/username. That solved it for me.
    Last edited by Bumper44; May 2nd, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
    Asus 1005HA- Ubuntu 10.04
    Registered Linux User #499882

Beans

I only had that problem for "facebook chat", but I already made the username so I can go to facebook.com/username instead of some other obscure link. Also, I used that username while logging into gwibber, still no notifications for me. Only facebook chat notes...

Some other ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, I'm not a fan of gwibber so I use the online facebook. So other then that I really don't know what to tell ya.

Beans

I like facebooks webpage too, but I would like for Ubuntu to tell me when I need to log onto facebook and check the new messages. I think this is the intention anyway:S

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Until you find a fix, you could try something like this - http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/141/26/

Beans

I will pass on that since the only satisfactory solution involves not adding more icons to my notification area. I want the envelope to go green or whatever whenever something happens, I can then click to see if its an e-mail, facebook message or whatever. I already know about those apps like gmail-notify and such which add their own icon to the panel. That is not really what I need.

Thanks anyway I hope someone else comes up with a solution for this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I installed gmail-notify and it automatically went under the envelop icon. From what I can tell it works quite nicely with the envelop icon and integrates rather well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hejfelix,

I have the same issue. I have tried deleting and readding the Facebook account, but it does not look like notify-osd is getting any attempts from gwibber.

Beans

Same problem here. Two ubuntu fresh installs and there are not any notification from my configured facebook acount. Only when I post from gwibber to facebook, notify for facebook works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast