Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VLC: sound cuts out (ubuntu 10.04)

Re: VLC: sound cuts out (ubuntu 10.04)

Same problem here.

Vlc, youtube, skype work fine for a while then sound stops.

I have Ubuntu Studio Lucid 10.4 (kernel 2.6.31-11-rt) upgraded from 8.04 on a Dell laptop XPS M1330 and all sounds worked fine for a couple of months after upgrade but about 3 weeks ago the sound breaks after a playing for while.

I've followed Temüjin instructions with asound.conf (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1455816).
    I've updated alsa with AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.sh and the problem still persists.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

fer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Does this happen with skype running - how about without?

Quote Originally Posted by lidex View Post
    Does this happen with skype running - how about without?
    It happens without skype running, if it is skype what I'm using skype's sound (mic and all) stops working.
    I don't think it is a vlc or skype issue I think it must be at a lower level.

Beans

Unhappy Re: VLC: sound cuts out (ubuntu 10.04)

I have the same problem.

I have the realtime kernel and an ATI graphics card running the open source drivers.

I use a my interal sound card, but a PCMCIA sound card is also installed.

It happens mainly using VLC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by clydacs View Post
    Actually I'm not running the realtime Kernel - Linux 2.6.32-22 generic. This is the first time I've worked with Linux and until you mentioned it I didn't know there was a "realtime" Kernel. Is it possible the sound cut out is related to the graphics driver (NVIDIA)? It seems that when ever I'm doing something where video hardware acceleration is tapped that's when the sound goes.
    Hello, for me it was the case. I have been fighting a long time with crackly sound under lucid (with all apps). I found the "solution" yesterdays : i removed the proprietary drivers for my nvidia onboard graphic card, reboot, and it was ok. Now, i can't have the nice 3D desktop effects, but at least i can hear music...

But why the graphics drivers interfere with the sound ... big mystery

nico

Beans

hi,
    i have got the problem with sound. whenever i try to play any type of sound it plays for a while then it stops and i have play it again. i notice that when the sound stops then at the same time something happen to the volume controller in the above panel. It shows itself mute for a second then sound stops and then the volume goes up again but i cant here any thing . to listen to it i have to play it again.
    i tried to do solve this problem by using the steps you guys told but nothing worked here..
    Please guide me through this problem. i am very sad about my ubunuts sound

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by supersas View Post
    hi,
    i have got the problem with sound. whenever i try to play any type of sound it plays for a while then it stops and i have play it again. i notice that when the sound stops then at the same time something happen to the volume controller in the above panel. It shows itself mute for a second then sound stops and then the volume goes up again but i cant here any thing . to listen to it i have to play it again.
    i tried to do solve this problem by using the steps you guys told but nothing worked here..
    Please guide me through this problem. i am very sad about my ubunuts sound
    Try running this command in a terminal for 10.04 or later:
    Code:
    ubuntu-bug audio
    Reference the Ubuntu-Bug Audio link in my sig.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123