Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HowTo run a script after RESUME [LUCID]

Beans

HowTo run a script after RESUME [LUCID]

Hi folks,

here is my workaround on how to run a script after the PC resumes from suspend.

This is at least working on Lucid Lynx.

1. Have a look at folder /etc/pm/sleep.d/ - all scripts within this folder are automatically run as root-user after/before suspend or hibernate.
    2. A script needs to look like this example:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    case "$1" in
        hibernate|suspend)
            ACTION BEFORE SUSPEND/HIBERNATE
            ;;
        thaw|resume)
            ACTION AFTER RESUME
            ;;
        *)
            ;;
    esac
    exit $?
    EXAMPLE:
    Let's say you want to run
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/icecast2 restart
    after resume.
    Here is what you need to do:

Type in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo touch /etc/pm/sleep.de/99-icecast-restart.sh
    sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/sleep.de/99-icecast-restart.sh
    sudo nano /etc/pm/sleep.de/99-icecast-restart.sh
    Then give it the following content:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    case "$1" in
        thaw|resume)
            /etc/init.d/icecast2 restart 2>/dev/null
            ;;
        *)
            ;;
    esac
    exit $?
    That's all

Hope this is helpful to anybody, because I spent hours to google for it.

German version: here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HowTo run a script after RESUME [LUCID]

Thanks,

I was looking for just this to get madwifi to reload after hibernation!

best regards,
    Danny
    System Specs:
    Desktop: E6420 (@3.4GHz, Water Cooled), 4GB DDR2, 1.6 TB HDs, X1950 Pro (OS Driver),
    Dual Boot Win7/Jaunty, 19" 4:3 + 24" 16:9.
    Laptop: Toshiba L30, T2080 Pentium Dual Core, 2 GB DDR2, 250GB Hard disk.

Beans

Thanks alot for this. I just love when people in the community give out information like this so freely!

Beans

Thanks a lot for this tutorial and example. I had tried before some other explanations I found while googling to no avail, but yours did the trick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Are there any rules or restrictions about what commands or programs can appear in these scripts?

Specifically, can I use logger to add my own details into the suspend and resume logs -- or even create my own logs?

Also, I need to make sure than any USB or SD media are unmounted prior to suspend processing. There are known troubles with external devices and suspend-resume success.

Lastly, if there are several connected but un-mounted USB or flash drives, is there some command that will "force" some sort of scan and re-mount of the whole crop?

Merci d'avance,
    ~~~ 0;-Dan
    "All government spending, regardless of the motives, uses YOUR money."

Beans

Hopefully this isnt dead, But i cant seem to get my two finger scroll scrip to run after resume from suspend.

I just put 10.10 on my eee 1001p, and finally got the brightness and two finger scrolling to work.

A couple problems, and this is the thread that I keep getting sent to in my searches. I'm a very new user, and what I am doing doesn't seem to work. I got the script to run by putting it in the start up thing, but it seems to be a common problem that some scripts get shut off after you re open the laptop.

uh... well i think you all know what im talking about. Here is what i made:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    case "$1" in
        thaw|resume)
        /boot/twofinger
            ;;
        *)
            ;;
    esac
    exit $?
    Contents of /boot/twofinger:

Code:
    #
    # Synaptics TouchPad 2 finger Scrolling
    #
    sleep 10
    # Set multi-touch emulation parameters
    xinput set-int-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure" 32 8
    xinput set-int-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Width" 32 8
    xinput set-int-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Two-Finger Scrolling" 8 1
    xinput set-int-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Scrolling" 8 1 1

# Disable edge scrolling
    xinput set-int-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Edge Scrolling" 8 0 0 0

# This will make cursor not to jump if you have two fingers on the touchpad and you list one
    # (which you usually do after two-finger scrolling)
    xinput set-int-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Jumpy Cursor Threshold" 32 110
    And i ran the sudo chmod +x on my script, so it does run at boot, just not resume.

I tried your commands, but i don't understand why the file name is different in that touch, nano and chmod commands...

thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by skullriot View Post
    I tried your commands, but i don't understand why the file name is different in that touch, nano and chmod commands
    software looks for scripts and script parts in specific locations depending on whether it is power-management or udev or udrive or acpi or "upstart" or ... that is trying to do something. I suspect that the relevant parts are not looking or finding your /boot/twofinger script in spite of your explicit absolute reference.

I'm not yet sure of the details myself, but I think that you need something like in /etc/pm/*/NN_twofinger where NN is two digits that manage the desired order of execution. I have no idea what "*" would need to be.

~~~ 0;-Dan

Beans

Well the OP specifically states that sleep.d is what gets run before and after a suspend action. Maybe this kind of a script was changed in 10.10 and doesn't run the same way, not that I have had experience with this in 10.4. Karmic was my first Ubuntu. The boot order would make sense, though. I will try that out.

It would probably help me to look up documentation on what those specific commands do, considering I only know that chmod +x makes the file executable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You don't say what name you used for the script-fragment with the case statement. I believe you want something like "/etc/pm/sleep.d/NN_somename.sh" (the file type is optional but a fetish of mine).
    I believe that files execute in shell glob order and so the NN gets used to help sequence things.

Check out man bash or any of several available shell scripting books and articles.

The "$1" calls for the first command line parameter when the script is launched. "parameters" are parts of the command line separated by whitespace -- blanks, tabs, continuations, etc. In this case, you might see string values of "hibernate" or "suspend" or "resume" or "thaw".

"Hibernate" means suspend-to-disk.
    "Suspend" means "suspend-to-ram.
    "Resume" means "restart after either form of suspend-to".
    "Thaw" (I think) means a synomyn for "resume."

Your script fragment then does some processing for either form of "resume".

Within the twofinger script, "sleep" inserts a run-time pause into whatever happens. I suspect this is a way to allow time for X-windows to start and run and be ready for what follows. Perhaps your delay is not long enough. There are ways to wait for something specific rather than wheel spinning.

Next "xinput" is the command that tells your X-server all sorts of details. Start with man xinput and keep reading (grin) for the rest of your geekish life. If these several device strings do not match exactly, things won't happen. Try xinput --list to see which devices you really have available and check your typing.

Are your /var/log/Xorg.*.log files saying anything about what is and is not happening?

~~~ 0;-Dan

Beans

Exclamation Re: HowTo run a script after RESUME [LUCID]

Hey wondering if there's a way to run something like this. I want to run a script at startup, as well as everytime someone logs into gdm, or logs back in from switch user/ unlock in screensaver. Not sure how this would be achieved. Thank you for taking the time, to look this over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast