Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Touchscreen X11 driver missing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Touchscreen X11 driver missing

I'd like to add a new solution for those who would like to activate the touchscreen of the Acer 1825pt(z) but have problem to compile the xf86-input-evdev 2.4.0 drivers, on a (K)ubuntu 10.04 Lucid basis. It might work on a Maverick version even tough I have'nt tested it...

http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-ins....04-lucid-lynx

Here you have all the instructions to both upgrade your intel drivers (for hardware of h264 video acceleration) and activate the touchscreen using a 2.6.35-rc(n) kernel. Kernel 2.6.35-rc1 does not contain any cando drivers (drivers for the touchscreen). So the latest version you installed, the better it is.
    The latest version from this day now is 2.6.35.rc6...

If you follow all the instructions from above your system should also upgrade with the xf86-input-evdev 2.4 drivers with no need to compile anything and the touchscreen will work with no need of calibration, and even no need to generate a xorg.conf file.

BUT... the monotouch drawback remains the same... for now... ^^

Regarding the screen rotation, Tomfrancart wrote a script which does the job.
    It is not a auto rotate way yet, but still it is an elegant way as he uses the P-button which exists on the 1825pt(z) panel and some other Acer laptops.

to do so, just follow the link given by rizzly just above this message...

For the auto-rotate screen, i'll try to find a solution based on what exists on my Fujitsu P1610, but I guess it will take some time...

Just in case anyone has more time or is smarter than me... ^^
    here is the start point :

http://fjbtndrv.git.sourceforge.net/...ndrv;a=summary

EDIT: for those who need to compile xf86-input-evdev 2.4.0 for a reason or another and encounter problems such dependencies problems, just pm me as I come here once a while and I may miss some messages such the one from rizzly...
    Last edited by arobase40; July 31st, 2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: updating information

Beans

Thanks arobase, I just got my 1825PTZ a couple of weeks ago, and have been trawling the internet to get my touchscreen working. Would it be alright on my Netbook edition flavour of Lucid? I have never done a separate kernel install, etc, before, so I would like to knwo what I'm getting myself into..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use myself a Ubuntu Netbook Lucid edition and all work really fine, except the mutitouch (or at least dual touch) and auto-rotate screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

I think I have found some informations about the G sensor for this 1825(ptz)...

I first watch at the Acer drivers for Windows and found a reference : SMO8800. I poke around google but found nothing useful except this is a sensor made by ST Micro...
    But I watch again in the drivers located in the "C:\OEM\Preload\Autorun\DRV\MISC G sensor LIS33DETR" directory and found another reference LIS33DETR, which looks like to be the real reference of the ScreenDetection device for autoscreen rotation.
    There is no source code reference at all in any versions of linux kernel (I watched at 2.6.36-rc1), but after a deep search with google, I found 2 things : a script which was supposed to read informations about a 3D Accelerator on Palo35 device and using a LIS33DE with i2c-dev module... But this script does not work as it could even not read the registers... May be I missed something... ??? Some differences between the lis33DE and lis33DETR ??? ^^

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.lin....general/49727

At least, I then found all the C source code for the list33DE driver in the Android-kernel trunk... ^^
    I have not integrated this code in a linux kernel nor have I tested it, yet !

http://code.google.com/p/m8-android-...ips/lis302dl.c

I will try to compile it and see if I can get if work, but if you are quicker than me, you can use it at your own risk... ^^

Best regards,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Some new informations about the accelerometor used by the Acer 1825ptz...

I found out a few 2 years old codes used by a other model : lis3lv02DL (in HTC Shift) but closed to the one use by the 1825pt(z).

http://pof.eslack.org/blog/2008/06/0...hift-g-sensor/

Just download i2c-gsensor file, edit the i2c-gsensor.c file and change the line :

#define WHO_AM_I 0x3a

by

#define WHO_AM_I 0x3b

Compile and play with it under Terminal !

As you will notice, this is a 3 axis only accelerometor. That means you won't be able to make difference between Left and Right... ^^

After a deep search in the linux source code, I finally found the same reference (lis3lv02DL) in driver/hwmon and probably the magic number under lis3lv02d.h . That means that the code and modules are already there, but I don't know how to use them yet... ^^
    I will let you know as soon I have more informations.

regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi again,

I forgot to mention you need to load i2c-i801 and i2c-dev modules first before you can use the i2c-gsensor util... ^^

I'm surprised about nobody's reactions about this...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Here is a new version of the manual rotation script.

Rename rotate.sh to rotate and rotate-screen.sh to rotate-screen
    It is written in 2 parts and both files are to be placed in the same dir (part of your env variables).
    Only the rotate script is to be binded to the P-button.

If someone can propose better optimization...

I "may" post a first version of an auto-rotate script soon... Hopefully... ^^
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Ok, Ok, resuming, in the Acer 1825PTZ, to get the touchscreen (in mono-touch mode and without G-rotation) you need to do this:

1) Install the new Intel drivers

1a) On a updated Ubuntu 10.04 the first thing we have to do is install the latest Intel drivers. In a terminal type:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

1b) At the end of the file add the following 2 lines:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu lucid main #xorg-edgers PPA
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu lucid main #xorg-edgers PPA

1c) Now type in a terminal the following command:

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 8844C542

1d) Update the distro from the repository to search the new packages:

sudo apt-get update

1e) And make the upgrade

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

1) Install the new 2.6.35 kernel

2a) Now we are going to upgrade to the 2.6.35 kernel. First add the kernel repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kernel-ppa/ppa

2b) Update so the kernel can be availables:

sudo apt-get-update

2c) Install the latest 2.6.35 linux:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.35-22 linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic linux-image-2.6.35-22-generic linux-maverick-source-2.6.35

2d) Restart your computer. you will see the 2.6.35-22 kernel is now in you boot screen, select them. Once started, you will notice that the left button mouse doen't work (in touchpad or external mouse). Pulse with your finger in the touch screen and the mouse must go to that point int the screen. Now the left button in the touchpad/external mouse will be ok.

3) Aditional notes

3a) In theory, you can install the 2.6.35 kernel and then install the Intel drivers. The problem with this is that if you install 2.6.35 kernel and restart, you won't have the new intel drivers yet. This causes that the touchscreen is recognized like a touchpad, and the left button die. In any case, remember that you can install the intel drivers in any kernel (for example in the 2.6.32-24) and the drivers will be used by all kernels installed after or before.

3b) In the Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick beta the default kernel is the 2.6.35, so you will notice something like the 3a) behaviour (touchscreen detected like a touchpad and no left button mouse).

----

And it's all. All is perfect except the manual rotation (throught the System->Preferences). For example if you rotate 180º the screen and touch the screen in the bottom-right corner, the cursor go to the upper-left corner and so on.

I've reading the solution from arobase40 (it seem good for me) but i really don't understand that.
    Last edited by sadcruel; September 26th, 2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: clarify and correct errors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sadcruel View Post
    Ok, Ok, resuming, in the Acer 1825PTZ, to get the touchscreen (in mono-touch mode and without G-rotation) you need to do this:

And it's all. All is perfect except the manual rotation (throught the System->Preferences). For example if you rotate 180º the screen and touch the screen in the bottom-right corner, the cursor go to the upper-left corner and so on.

I've reading the solution from arobase40 (it seem good for me) but i really don't understand that.
    I don't understand what you don't understand ?

Did you install xf86-input-evdev 2.4 or above ?
    If this is the problem, then you have to download the tar ball, uncompress, ./configure --prefix=/usr, then make and make install. Just reboot and it should be fine.

By 180°, you mean inverted, is that right ?
    If so, you sould'nt have any problem with the manual rotate script.

The sole problem you should encouter is with the xorg-intel 2.12 driver... When you rotate the panel, the system may dim the brightness. So you will have to fn+right dir to recover full brightness.
    This is a bug with the Intel driver I can't solve by script yet. I have tried to recover the brightness state and to apply it back after the rotation, but it does not work. I don't know why... ^^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you need informations about the way to handle the G-sensor (for automatic display rotation), watch at this link :

http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/sh...1486671&page=5

Regards,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast