Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Touchscreen X11 driver missing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Touchscreen X11 driver missing

Quote Originally Posted by nearo View Post
    does everything else work out of the box? webcam, wifi, screen rotation etc?
    If you're talking about the 1825PTZ and Ubuntu 10.04 lucid, as far as I know everything is working out of the box except the touchscreen and screen auto-rotation.
    I have not tested HDMI and Bluetooth, but they might work...

I have compiled the touchscreen drivers and got the hid.ko and hid-cando.ko installed and loaded with modprobe but it does not work yet...

Edit : at least I got the touchscreen working (I have to play with rmmod and modprobe) but the pointer is completly out of sync with my finger and the mouse is not working anymore (mouse is moving but I can't click on anything... ^^
    I have to unload hid-cando to get my mouse back.

Anyone knows what the coordinates in the xorg.conf should be ???
    Last edited by arobase40; May 22nd, 2010 at 06:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by StCh View Post
    This patch is really simple and nearly human readable (basically, it is the addition of a couple of lines in three different files). I was going to suggest that you apply it by hand.

But actually, your issue is worse than I thought: if you have a vanilla Lucid kernel, then:
    1) there's no hid-cando.c file at all
    2) you need a patch to {linux}/include/linux/hid.h

I *believe* the following patches should be enough:

- 8b0e58a70a7a41443c779de074288035b014cb94, which I can't find in patchwork
    - https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/92471/
    - https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/93203/
    - https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/94542/

St.
    Did you get the touchscreen working easyly and well integrated to Xorg ?

I have tried the way the owner of the LenoVo S10-3T did as they have the same touchscreen, but it seems not to work the same way as the 1825PTZ : I added some informations in hal (which gives much more informations about the panel), I compiled xf86-input-hidtouch and loaded it through xorg.conf but I have not visble actions on screen (no mouse pointer moving), but I have some feedback with hidDeviceDump...
    Last edited by arobase40; May 27th, 2010 at 10:08 AM.

Beans

It's work !! But I'm an Gentoo/Debian user.

I use the latest RC of kernel Linux 2.6.35 with the Canda hid touchscreen module, then I upgrade xf86-input-evdev to 2.4.0 (2.3.2 dont work). I have just configure my xorg.conf like that :
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier "Touchscreen"
            Driver          "evdev"
            Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
            Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/event9"
    EndSection
    It's done, no calibrate needed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Got it working too, but it was a little bit more difficult due to a compatibility problem with xorg-input server and library causing a calibration issue.

Even if this works with any events, the true event that handles the touchscreen is event5...

Beans

So everything works with an up-to-date version of Debian?
    How is the battery life when running Linux? Acer claims a battery life of 8+ hours.

Beans

I installed Kernel 2.6.35-rc3 on a fresh Maverick alpha1 install, and I'm able to move the cursor on the touch screen. Out of the box! Which is pretty neat.

The left mouse click doesn't work though (not just upon tapping the screen, but also when clicking on the touchpad or with an external mouse). This is probably an issue in Maverick, as I noticed erratic left mouse behavior during the 10.10 installation process.

Battery life varies between 4 and 6 hours depending on usage. I'm surprised at how loud the machine is - the fan seems to be running non-stop (under Windows 7 as well). Despite that, I'll say it's good value for the money (or it could be post-purchase rationalization).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nearo View Post
    So everything works with an up-to-date version of Debian?
    How is the battery life when running Linux? Acer claims a battery life of 8+ hours.
    As much as I know with Debian and Gentoo you have to do most of the work by hands whilst this works out of the box with Ubuntu except the touchscreen... ^^

I don't know much about battery life as I work most of the time with the power supply for the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lixy View Post
    I installed Kernel 2.6.35-rc3 on a fresh Maverick alpha1 install, and I'm able to move the cursor on the touch screen. Out of the box! Which is pretty neat.

The left mouse click doesn't work though (not just upon tapping the screen, but also when clicking on the touchpad or with an external mouse). This is probably an issue in Maverick, as I noticed erratic left mouse behavior during the 10.10 installation process.

Battery life varies between 4 and 6 hours depending on usage. I'm surprised at how loud the machine is - the fan seems to be running non-stop (under Windows 7 as well). Despite that, I'll say it's good value for the money (or it could be post-purchase rationalization).
    I really don't like Maverick, so I stopped the try after Alpha1.

My 1825ptz is very silent, so I guess there is a problem with your machine... ^^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Castor456 View Post
    It's work !! But I'm an Gentoo/Debian user.

I use the latest RC of kernel Linux 2.6.35 with the Canda hid touchscreen module, then I upgrade xf86-input-evdev to 2.4.0 (2.3.2 dont work). I have just configure my xorg.conf like that :
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier "Touchscreen"
            Driver          "evdev"
            Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
            Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/event9"
    EndSection
    It's done, no calibrate needed
    Beware, looks like the xf86-input-evdev 2.4.0 is only a monotouch driver and another result is very slow scrolling in softwares like Okular or Acrobat Reader, no scrolling in Google Chrome, and some other problems...

Beans

So I just installed Maverick alpha 2, and just like lixy I can move the cursor as if the screen was a touchpad, no more, no less.

Unfortunetly it doesn't seem to recognize the touchscreen as a cando panel, alpha 2 should have the necessarry cando-patch for our screen to work, no? My idea behind the screen not being registered as a cando-panel is that when type lsmod in the terminal it says that hid_cando is used by 0.

So, I tried to just add the lines to xorg.conf described earlier, wich didn't work. Right now I'm trying to install xf86-input-evdev-2.4, but am stuck on this when trying to autoconf it:

Code:
    ./configure: line 11714: syntax error near unexpected token `XINPUT,'
    ./configure: line 11714: `XORG_DRIVER_CHECK_EXT(XINPUT, inputproto)'
    Any ideas?

EDIT:

Nevermind, all solved by doing this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...94&postcount=2
    Last edited by rizzly; July 25th, 2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Found a solution

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast