Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opening a linux internet cafe

Beans
    Hidden!

opening a linux internet cafe

Hi, I am about to open an internet cafe and would like to use ubuntu, does anyone have any advice on how i should configure the machines or should i leave them with a stock install of ubuntu on.

Thank you.

Beans

Re: opening a linux internet cafe

Hi,

I have some experience using Ubuntu like that.

I suggest to use Ubuntu Netbook Remix's - netbook-lancher menu that allows to build the convenient list of software your clients will start and use.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You will want to lock down certain things , " pessulus" will help ..

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question, what would you expect from an internet cafe if you went to use one of their computers?, is firefox enough or would you expect other things from the operating system?

Thank You.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Firefox would be enough... There was a distro that reverted to a logo of the company when the browser was closed and started it up again when the screen was clicked... I think it isn't maintained any more.

"DiscoverStation" seems like a nice way to lower costs - it can run lots of users from different monitors, you can have half the cafe running from one box.

Zencafe also looks good...

I think the distro I mentioned must not be maintained any more...
    Last edited by J V; May 15th, 2010 at 01:29 PM.
    Comitas. Brevitas. Nulla ambitio.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OneLine View Post
    Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question, what would you expect from an internet cafe if you went to use one of their computers?, is firefox enough or would you expect other things from the operating system?

Thank You.
    There must also be a video player, or video/audio player (I'd go for VLC myself), some form of document viewer/writer (probably OO), a .pdf viewer and some form of CD burning capability IMO. Not that any of this is going to be hard.

I'd consider a .torrent client as well, but that could be more trouble than its worth.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    I'd consider a .torrent client as well, but that could be more trouble than its worth.
    That would have to be a big no, no, because of the main reason, piracy, I don't want to get in trouble because someone downloaded a movie.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OneLine View Post
    That would have to be a big no, no, because of the main reason, piracy, I don't want to get in trouble because someone downloaded a movie.
    'Copyright infringement', there are no ships, swords, or beards involved LOL.

Yeah, that is what I meant by 'more trouble than it is worth'. I know I've used a torrent client at a internet cafe (to get a linux distro, so nothing illegal) but that was a while ago, and I dont know if the average internet cafe has got the ability to use torrents.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've just started having second thoughts, would it be worth it, now a days people can use their mobile to surf while on the go, internet is cheap-ish at home nowadays, this could be a loss-making before it starts venture.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that please.

Thank you

Beans

You could consider opening up a small restaurant that also offers free wifi.

That way you don't have to rely on people coming in only for the internet.

just my 2 cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast