Thread: how to install the VMware Tools in ubuntu 10.4

Beans

Angry how to install the VMware Tools in ubuntu 10.4

I have VMware fusion 2.06 and I installed Ubuntu 10.4
    every thing went ok ubuntu is running ok..
    but VM asking me to install the VMware tools and there is an icon on my deskstop but I can not lanch any file from ubuntu becasue this file installation are for windows and not for ubuntu..

can someone tell me how to install the VMware tools on my ubuntu??

Thank you antonio..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: how to install the VMware Tools in ubuntu 10.4

I don't use Fusion but I think the Help file on it will tell all.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win8 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

Thank you..
    finally I found how to install the vmware tools but now I don't know how to install the vmware tools from the mounted dvd on my desktop...
    from the virtual machine toolbar I click on Install VMware tools and the a DVD mounted comppressed file pop ups on my desktop
    I don't know the path of my virtual dvd...
    what I'm try to do is to copy the mounted dvd vmware tools into a temp file..the vmware tools is a compressed file..gz.
    can you help me with this??

Beans

Exclamation Re: how to install the VMware Tools in ubuntu 10.4

Quote Originally Posted by abduliounited View Post
    Thank you..
    finally I found how to install the vmware tools but now I don't know how to install the vmware tools from the mounted dvd on my desktop...
    from the virtual machine toolbar I click on Install VMware tools and the a DVD mounted comppressed file pop ups on my desktop
    I don't know the path of my virtual dvd...
    what I'm try to do is to copy the mounted dvd vmware tools into a temp file..the vmware tools is a compressed file..gz.
    can you help me with this??
    i have the same problem as you do. I have installed Ubuntu 10.4 with VmWare and I do not know how to install VMWare Tools. Please someone help us

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In the Mega-thread posted at the top of this forum there is a specific section telling anyone who bothers to read it where to find instructions for installing VMware Tools - along with many other things that people still ask questions about.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware/Tools
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    In the Mega-thread posted at the top of this forum there is a specific section telling anyone who bothers to read it where to find instructions for installing VMware Tools - along with many other things that people still ask questions about.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware/Tools
    This page, while outlines how it should be done, does not address the issue that when someone with 10.4 really is installing vmware-tools, he or she encounters erros such as this:

Code:
    Unable to build the vmXXXX module.
    The page, as of now, is updated in January. Lucid came out in April. So no wonder.

Anyway, since googling for 10.4 vmware-tools refers to this page, if someone knows how to get vm modules to build under Lynx, just reply to this thread. Thanks!