Thread: Webcam issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Webcam issues

I just got a new webcam. It's a Creative Live! Socialize HD. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit. In Skype, when I go to Options>video devices, it shows up under "Select webcam" as "VF0610 Live! Cam Socialize HD (/dev/video0)" However, when I click Test, nothing happens. When I double-click on Test, I get a full screen view of a blank window. Running skype from the terminal, I get the following output:

Code:
    X Error, request 133, minor 18, error code 8 BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
    Under the advise of an article which can be found here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam

I tried running the following command in the terminal:

Code:
    bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype'
    and then tried the webcam test again, with the same result and output. I tried again, but with this command:

Code:
    bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skype'
    with the same results and output.

However, my webcam works fine with Cheese, so I know I've got the drivers.

Any ideas?
    "Our bodies stirred with these waters briefly, danced with a certain intoxication before the love of life and self, dealt with a few strange ideas, then submitted to the instruments of Time."
    -Frank Herbert

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Webcam issues

bump
    "Our bodies stirred with these waters briefly, danced with a certain intoxication before the love of life and self, dealt with a few strange ideas, then submitted to the instruments of Time."
    -Frank Herbert

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Is your cam recognized by dmesg, install cheese and see if it works.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I already have Cheese, and my cam works fine in it. I don't know anything about dmesg.
    Last edited by sbelz79; May 16th, 2010 at 07:57 AM.
    -Frank Herbert

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

bump.
    -Frank Herbert

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A new development. Although testing the camera still gets me the same results, I decided to Skype my girlfriend on her computer on the other room- Both sound and video worked (though the video is pretty choppy). Is it possible that I need to install a different driver? If so, how do I find out which one, and how do I install it?
    -Frank Herbert

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sbelz79 View Post
    I tried running the following command in the terminal:
    Code:
    bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype'
    and then tried the webcam test again, with the same result and output. I tried again, but with this command:
    Code:
    bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skype'
    with the same results and output.
    I had similar issues with Skype, and was able to fix the problem by creating a small bash script to launch Skype and that read thusly:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
    env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
    Although it was not necessary to include the third line (except the "skype" command to launch the program) to get the camera working properly.

My camera is a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, and I found the answer to this issue on the Skype forums here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks! That worked perfectly.
    -Frank Herbert