Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help changing uuid label

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: help changing uuid label

drs,

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    Do you have anything listed in your fstab for the partition? Make sure there isn't any other reference to Downloads or the partition - either by UUID or label. If not, try adding this. You will have to recreate your /media/Downloads folder. Make yourself the owner of the folder.

Thanks, I'll try this when time permits. Will post back with results.
    M2N-SLI with AMD Phenom II X4 940 8GB of 400Mhz 128bit DDR2 RAM, an Evga GTX560ti Video card Phoenix Bios Rev. 5001

Kubuntu 12.10 (do-release-upgrade)

Beans
    Distro

John Bean,

Quote Originally Posted by John Bean View Post
    I think your manual settings in fstab are "fighting" with those used by FUSE to automatically mount external media. FUSE will attempt to create a new folder in /media with the same name as the disk label, and if it already exists will append an underscore to it, which is what you were seeing.

My suggestion is to mount the disk in /mnt rather than /media and add an appropriate entry in fstab. FUSE will then ignore the disk and it won't appear in "Places".
    I didn't know what handled the automounting of filesystems. I'll look into it more. I'll consider mounting it there when I have more time to make changes.

Thanks for your reply
    M2N-SLI with AMD Phenom II X4 940 8GB of 400Mhz 128bit DDR2 RAM, an Evga GTX560ti Video card Phoenix Bios Rev. 5001

Beans
    Distro

drs,

I made that change and after a reboot or two. I don't remember, I shut it down at night, but I now get only one entry for Downloads in nautilus and of course its icon displays on my desktop.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    Do you have anything listed in your fstab for the partition? Make sure there isn't any other reference to Downloads or the partition - either by UUID or label. If not, try adding this. You will have to recreate your /media/Downloads folder. Make yourself the owner of the folder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12