Thread: Is there a command to locate where grub2 is installed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Is there a command to locate where grub2 is installed

Hi all.

I'm trying to find out which partition grub2 is installed in. Is there a command for this, as I suspect that I may have told it to install to the wrong partition during the upgrade from Karmic to Lucid, and now, I suspect that I've crippled the boot sector for my vista installation.

Thanks a lot. Kirby
    We need to identify the sociopaths and psychotics in our society & remove them from their positions of power & influence over Humanity's evolution! Then we need to prevent these sick people from ever again having such lopsided powers over us. Me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is there a command to locate where grub2 is installed

Thanks to everyone that looked into it, but apparently, there must not be one.

I did finally get my answer as to where grub2 is installed. I downloaded the boot info script and then ran it with the following code (must be located on/in your desktop for this code to work):

Code:
    sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh
    Once it was done running, it saved to my desktop, I opened it with gedit , and the pertinent info was right near the top of the document.

I hope that helps someone. Now I'm back to finding out how get my vista running again, since the upgrade to Lucid, has left it un-bootable .

Thanks again everyone. Kirby
    We need to identify the sociopaths and psychotics in our society & remove them from their positions of power & influence over Humanity's evolution! Then we need to prevent these sick people from ever again having such lopsided powers over us. Me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Kir_B View Post
    Hi all.

I'm trying to find out which partition grub2 is installed in. Is there a command for this, as I suspect that I may have told it to install to the wrong partition during the upgrade from Karmic to Lucid, and now, I suspect that I've crippled the boot sector for my vista installation.

Thanks a lot. Kirby
    A "boot sector" is only used to boot the PC, not a particular OS.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You might want to try to boot from a windows install disk and see if the restore option will work. I'm not sure if it will, but if I remember correctly, the restore process will find the original Windows install and perhaps restore the boot loader.

Also found this:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows

That should help you setup the boot loader for dual booting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks joebu23, I'm going to take the plunge tomorrow.

Kirby

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Install Startup-Manager on the partition you think Grub is on. Change the default boot partition and see if it made any difference. If not, it's on the other partition.

I have multiple partitions and installed Start-up-Manager sequentially on each until I found the right one.

I bit clunky, but useful for non-scripters.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gacb View Post
    Install Startup-Manager on the partition you think Grub is on. Change the default boot partition and see if it made any difference. If not, it's on the other partition.

I have multiple partitions and installed Start-up-Manager sequentially on each until I found the right one.

I bit clunky, but useful for non-scripters.
    Thanks for the response gacb, but the boot info script did the job quite nicely. See above.

Kirby