Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ubunut 10.04 lts / Partitions

Beans

Question ubunut 10.04 lts / Partitions

Hello ubuntu forums and members,
    i created a 8 gig. ntfs partition to install ubuntu 10.04 on.(install was no problem)
    im not sure why but my file system reads as only having 4 gig's.... here are the pics..

the second photo using disk utility shows the 8 gigs spread out."'is ubuntu hiding 4 gigs for just data"
    i hope to be able to free up those 4 gig's since my disk analyzer shows the filesytem as only having 4 gigs and im running low. 400. mb. free space... help with resizing please..
    thanks a million...
    -daveed-

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: ubunut 10.04 lts / Partitions

I'm not the most experienced with partitions but I think if you click the mount volume button in your image you would be able to use it. you could probably use the edit partition to make it mount that automatically as part of the home directory

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I do not understand a linux NTFS partition unless it is wubi, but you are showing a tiny 1.7GB ext3 partition and 230MB swap.

Did you allocated an NTFS partition then choose side by side where it shrinks a partition and installs in the remaining space?

If that is the case and you have not done much updates it may be quicker to delete the NTFS, and linux partitions and totally reinstall to the free space - that still is not large. That will delete everything, so if you want to save any data make sure you have good backups.

I typically recommend a 10-20GB partition for / (root) and 2GB for swap as a minimum install. You can get by with about 6-7GB if you have very limited space.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

from that you have

/dev/sda1 - 242 GB NTFS
    /dev/sda2 - 4.4 GB NTFS
    /dev/sda5 - 3.7 GB EXT4
    /dev/sda6 - 232 MB Swap

Are you refering to the /dev/sda2 "linux_volume" 4.4 GB partition as the lost space?

If you intend on using that to expand your system I would recommend formating to ext4 or ext3 (is there any data on it already? Make sure there isn't first) and migrating your home partition over to it

simply rsync /home to it and edit fstab to mount the new partition as /home next boot.

If that's what you like to do then we can help you with the hole process as well.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Exclamation Re: ubunut 10.04 lts / Partitions

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    from that you have

/dev/sda1 - 242 GB NTFS
    /dev/sda2 - 4.4 GB NTFS
    /dev/sda5 - 3.7 GB EXT4
    /dev/sda6 - 232 MB Swap

Are you refering to the /dev/sda2 "linux_volume" 4.4 GB partition as the lost space?

If you intend on using that to expand your system I would recommend formating to ext4 or ext3 (is there any data on it already? Make sure there isn't first) and migrating your home partition over to it

simply rsync /home to it and edit fstab to mount the new partition as /home next boot.

If that's what you like to do then we can help you with the hole process as well.
    yes the linux volume is the lost space, i have no data there...
    ok. if u can help me expand my current file system with the linux volume that would be great...
    thanks to everyone for the quick reply

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Okay the first step would be to use gparted to format it to ext4 or ext3 your choice.

Second we need to copy /home's file over to it, rsync or grsync are the best tools for this.

Lastly we will need to boot into single user mode or use a live cd to delete the original file's in /home, then update fstab to mount your new partition.

So install gparted

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gparted
    To access it click System - Administration - Gparted
    Type in your password
    You should be able to right click on /dev/sda2 and select format to -> ext4.

Alright once that finishes we need to mount that partition and copy files over.

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/temp
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/temp
    sudo rsync -av /home/ /mnt/temp/
    Grab a cup of coffee and let that complete. When it's done we have to do the hard part.
    Last edited by jerome1232; May 14th, 2010 at 07:17 PM.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

Beans

Okay the first step would be to use gparted to format it to ext4 or ext3 your choice.

Second we need to copy /home's file over to it, rsync or grsync are the best tools for this.

Lastly we will need to boot into single user mode or use a live cd to delete the original file's in /home, then update fstab to mount your new partition.

So install gparted

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gparted
    To access it click System - Administration - Gparted
    Type in your password
    You should be able to right click on /dev/sda2 and select format to -> ext4.

Alright once that finishes we need to mount that partition and copy files over.

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/temp
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/temp
    sudo rsync -av /home/ /mnt/temp/
    Grab a cup of coffee and let that complete. When it's done we have to do the hard part.
    -ok hard part done- next..??
    i did get this error:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

First backup your current fstab
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bck
    Do you have a live cd around? If not grab one from
    here

Post the results of the following commands. This just shows me your current fstab and the uuid of your new partition.

Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda2 | grep UUID

As far as that error goes can your rerun that rsync command with one change?

Code:
    sudo rsync -av --exclude .gvfs /home/ /mnt/temp
    If that last rsync command fails with any errors then I need to see the errors. Which folders failed.

If it works with zero errors then you will need to boot into a live cd session to finish the last part. (deleting old /home and editing fstab)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Backing up your files and reinstalling off the LiveCD maybe a lot easier to deal with and with all probability have a higher success rate. Just my two-cents.
    KDE SC 4.4

Beans

First backup your current fstab
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bck
    Do you have a live cd around? If not grab one from
    here

Post the results of the following commands. This just shows me your current fstab and the uuid of your new partition.

Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    As far as that error goes can your rerun that rsync command with one change?

Code:
    If that last rsync command fails with any errors then I need to see the errors. Which folders failed.

If it works with zero errors then you will need to boot into a live cd session to finish the last part. (deleting old /home and editing fstab)
    the rsync command
    Code:
    returned no errors

jerome
    im a little unclear what i need to do with the live CD. do i boot into it and run the
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    command ??
    i have backed up fstab no problem... just need help understanding what u want me 2 do when booting the live CD...
    thanks a million J
    -daveed-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast