Thread: I thought Lucid dropped HAL???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I thought Lucid dropped HAL???

I have been trouble-shooting a hardware issue on a G4 Powermac with a clean install of Lucid when I just realized that HAL is installed (version 0.5.14-0ubuntu5). I thought the HAL package was supposed to go away in Lucid and that UDEV would be used instead. I appear to still have both hal and udev packages installed. Is this just a peculiarity of the Lucid PowerPC port?
    Last edited by JoeMac42; May 14th, 2010 at 05:52 PM.

Beans

Re: I thought Lucid dropped HAL???

I believe this is just a good example of what always happens when one wants to phase out one technology in favor of another, presumably better one. It... takes... forever. Backwards compatibility is not only important, it may be the only way.

(For other examples currently in play: upstart, pulse/oss/alsa, pidgin/empathy, xterm/gnome-terminal, what not.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just remove it, my system had hal installed and I went to synaptic and removed it, it didnt say anything else had to be removed or anything either, and my system works fine.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

hal, hal-cups-util and the libhal development packages can be removed. But libhal1 and libhal-storage1 can not be removed from lucid due to dependencies with gnome-desktop components.