Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CLI command to start minimized?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: CLI command to start minimized?

Hey found this thread while trying to figure out how to start Evolution minimized, still no no luck but I can answer this question.

Quote Originally Posted by spydeyrch View Post
    so why wouldn't I just use

Code:
    evolution & empathy
    Just curious. I tried both of them and to me, it appears like they do the same thing. So why would I need the sh -c prior to the two programs? Thanks!

-Spydey

Fist check out this link:
    http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/special-chars.html

It answers most the great questions of bash special characters

But the quick and dirty is this; the "&" simply tells the the program to run in the background so you can continue using the terminal. While "evolution && empathy" say not to run the second command till the first one completes successfully.

What you want to run them both in the background would be "evolution ; empathy &" the ";" is a command separator.

Hope that helps and if anyone knows how to start evolution minimized at startup I would be most thankful
    Last edited by LinuxGEEK7288; May 24th, 2010 at 01:51 AM.

I know I'm resurrecting an ancient (by Ubuntu forums standards) thread, but Empathy can be started with the --start-hidden option so that it runs in the messaging notifier but doesn't show any windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@iamajd

Thanks man for the info!! That helps a ton.

-Spydey

Beans

Maybe:
    empathy -h
    but how to minimize evolution? Try to use evolution indicator applet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGEEK7288 View Post
    What you want to run them both in the background would be "evolution ; empathy &" the ";" is a command separator.
    This might work because evolution forks in to a background process (maybe? i don't use evolution) however the correct way that will work with any programs is similar to what spydeyrch mentioned. '&' is also a command separator.

evolution & empathy &

compare:

xeyes ; glxgears &
    and
    xeyes & glxgears &

the first will start xeyes, then start glxgears once xeyes closes (because xeyes doesn't fork another process, it blocks the command.) the second will behave the way that was suggested, with both starting simultaneously.
    Last edited by decoherence; October 24th, 2011 at 08:40 PM.
    Not the cupcakes!
    Trust me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

First, create a file somewhere (for example ~/.devilspie/minimize_evolution.ds with the following:
    Code:
    (if  
    (is (applicatio_name) "Evolution")  
    (begin (minimize) )  
    )
    (Note I do not have Evolution installed, so it's application name might be different, you can find out with running devilspie with a file containing
    Code:
    (debug)
    and nothing else)

Then you could do something like

Code:
    devilspie ~/.devilspie/minimize_evolution.ds &  xxx=$!; evolution & empathy --start-hiden & sleep 10;  kill $xxx
    It basically runs devilspie with a rule to minimize evolution in the background, saves its PID to variable xxx, launches evolution, launches empathy minimized, waits 10 seconds (you can make this longer if it takes evolution a long time to start) and then kills devilspies. If you did not kill devilspie, it Evolution would keep minimizing when you would interact with it later. Hope this works, I have tested this only partially.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12