Thread: Howto change permissions in External HDD

Beans

Howto change permissions in External HDD

I just bought an Iomega External HDD (that was formatted and used by a Mac user) and I didn't succeed in changing the permission (write and read) into root and admin (me) using the nautilus-gksu programm.
    What command should I use in Terminal to change the user-ID/UID?
    (I use the new Ubuntu 10-04 as my OS).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Howto change permissions in External HDD

You can only set permissions and ownership on linux partitions. Is the partition NTFS to be compatible?

Understanding fstab
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283131
    Ownership and permissions of vfat / ntfs are set at the time of mounting. This is often a source of confusion.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Smile Re: Howto change permissions in External HDD

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You can only set permissions and ownership on linux partitions. Is the partition NTFS to be compatible?

Understanding fstab
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283131
    Ownership and permissions of vfat / ntfs are set at the time of mounting. This is often a source of confusion.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/
    Thanks Oldfred for your reply. I want to get rid of the Mac stuff, so I guess I'll either have to 'get permission' to write at the disk (using fstab, and if so, how??) or partition it Linux wise (maybe using Gparted??). But also I want to be able to use it on a Windows machine, so I suppose it therefore needs to be NTFS compatible.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This is my entry for one of my NTFS partitions (my other is slightly different and without the noexec it keeps asking if text files are to be executed, but I use it so little I have not changed fstab):

# Entry for /dev/sdc2 :
    UUID=44332FD360AA9657 /home/fred/shared ntfs-3g defaults,noexec,nosuid,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0

some also add this which I have on the one that does not work as well??
    fmask=0111,dmask=0000
    Last edited by oldfred; May 14th, 2010 at 12:52 AM. Reason: fmask & dmask entries
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Why are we making things complicated?

This is what I would do.
    Hook the external Drive up to your windows machine.
    Format the disk, (open my computer, right click the external drive and click "format...") as NTFS.

Create folders, move files, etc... make sure its working.

Now go to your computer running Ubuntu 10.04 and plug in your hard drive.
    It will likely show up on your desktop, double click it to mount it.

If you don't have permission to write to the folders do this.

open up a shell, (terminal) and type this.
    Code:
    sudo chmod USER /media/PATH/TO/HARD/DRIVE/FOLDER
    replace USER with your username, and path_to_hdd_folder with the actual path.

enter your password and you are done.
    If there is a problem write back.

----------------------------------------------
    oldfred's method is much more permanent and since what you are working with is an external hard drive, and not an internal I do not like it as much. when you do not have the hard drive plugged in and you start up the computer it will waste time looking for it, then return some error that it cannot be found. (although most if this is covered up by Ubuntu's loading screen, and you won't actually see it)

Please note that your "UUID" will not be 44332FD360AA9657.You can find your UUID for your external drive by typing
    Code:
    ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid
    in a shell

Also, I recommend you leave it after Defaults, and do not type noexec, etc...

If you are annoyed by it asking if you want to run a text file, just open up nautilus, click "Edit" --> "Preferences" --> "Behaviour"

Here change Executable text file from "Ask each time" to --> "View each time"

Hope that helps.

@oldfred -- If you feel like I am stomping on your suggestion, I do not mean to. Just offering an alternative.
    Last edited by vandorjw; May 14th, 2010 at 01:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

just a note , be sure to safely remove it , don't just yank out the usb from the Windows computer or it might not work in Ubuntu...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

cc7gir, not a problem - I thought we all were here to help ( and learn), but I thought unless it was a linux file system that supports permissions and ownership you could not change except when you mount it.

Beans

Thanks both of you.
    As I am not experienced in using the commandline, I found my way at roundabout, experimenting with the programs Gparted and Nautilus GKSU. Also I was not in need of saving any files or directories on the disk, so no risk of loosing stuff...
    The disk was detected by GParted after which I created a partition table (gpt) cleaning up everything nicely. And made a primary partition (nfts), which I then resized. Finally I made a new primary partition (ext4) in the created unallocated area.

Accessing, writing, deleting in the NTFS part was no problem with Ubuntu. But the ext4 part was not accessible at first (Lost&Found directory, owner:root, group:root). I used nautilus gksu to change the group owner (root) into my own name and was able to access, write, delete.

cheers, harriak

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    just a note , be sure to safely remove it , don't just yank out the usb from the Windows computer or it might not work in Ubuntu...
    For the record, this used to cause trouble (on top of any normal trouble from 'unsafely removing' a drive), because the linux didn't know how to deal with it. Thanks to improvements in ntfs-3g, this has been fixed for quite a while now, so you shouldn't have any problems.