Thread: Dual AWN Docks?

Beans

Dual AWN Docks?

I just installed Avant Window Navigator (AWN), downloaded a sweet theme and now kind of wish I could use two AWN docks at the same time. I searched around the forums and the internet, but found nothing. Is it impossible?

Beans

Re: Dual AWN Docks?

Anyone?

Yes, it can be done but it is _unsupported_ at the moment. It cannot be done through the Preferences currently.

The relevant config keys are (you're probably using gconf so use gconf-editor):

/apps/avant-window-navigator/panels/panel_list (number of panels).

/apps/instances/avant-window-navigator/panel-#/

Panel 1 can be configured through the preferences, panels 2+ need to be configured through the configuration backend (normally gconf). Any changes to panels 2+ require a restart of awn.

Please do not file any bug reports wrt to multiple instances until we expose it through preferences.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
    Yes, it can be done but it is _unsupported_ at the moment. It cannot be done through the Preferences currently.

The relevant config keys are (you're probably using gconf so use gconf-editor):

/apps/avant-window-navigator/panels/panel_list (number of panels).

/apps/instances/avant-window-navigator/panel-#/

Panel 1 can be configured through the preferences, panels 2+ need to be configured through the configuration backend (normally gconf). Any changes to panels 2+ require a restart of awn.

Please do not file any bug reports wrt to multiple instances until we expose it through preferences.
    Please explain this further. panel_list doesn't exist in /apps/avant-window-navigator/panels on my version. I have AWN 0.4.1 :S

Beans

You can have multiple docks by installing from the awn-testing ppa.
    It's as simple as going to awn preferences and hitting the add dock button.
    http://www.webupd8.org/2010/06/awn-lucido-gets-its-own-ppa.html
    Last edited by stinkeye; March 31st, 2011 at 05:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Needless plug, I guess, but I have a how-to on replacing the Gnome Panel entirely with AWN. AWN Testing (avant-window-navigator-trunk) comes with support for multiple panels, a notification area, and the popular chrome-tab-looking Lucido style. The difference between AWN and AWN-testing is the difference between yet another dock app and a complete Gnome Panel alternative.
    ~ I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home. ~