Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gee Adobe, if that was the case....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Gee Adobe, if that was the case....

I do -mostly- sympathize with Adobe choice: I don't like them being so slow on Linux... but anyway, which company isn't?

Adobe is a company which make just it's own business. We could hate the "success" of flash (and the problem which gather to linux community: youtube&co)

But it was a legitimate challenge (thus, they had "a little help" by Microsoft when it did come pre-installed in Windows 9x). What wasn't legitimate it's the kicking off in favour of Silverlight by Microsoft *and* the kicking off from Apple with the iP*** devices.

In terms of Linux community, Silverlight was a lesser menace paradoxically thanks to the already diffuse Adobe Flash.

In the end, I still don't trust Adobe... but among three (Adobe, Apple, Microsoft) they are the only one which didn't kick anyone (also, even if very lately, did took in fairly good account the "1% of linux share" providing an agreeable quality for WebMultimedia and some gaming for Linux (the HUGE disposal of Flash Games)
    Sorry for my bad English
    Before buy Check your hardware is compatible on Ubuntu Hardware Compatibility List.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Gee Adobe, if that was the case....

Your post was insightful, Ylon. All of these companies have tried to work out some middle ground or no man's land between themselves and open source.

Google is the only one I can think of at the moment that has really opened a large chunk of the border, but don't ask them for the search engine code... It's going to be a while before any of this works out, I think...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123