Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire Timeline X 3820T

Hybrid View

Beans

Acer Aspire Timeline X 3820T

Hi everyone,
    I thought I'd start a thread on the Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820T - 334G32N since I ran into some small issues that at least partially can be solved:

Fan issue:
    Running Ubuntu Lucid with the 64bit version of kernel 2.6.32-22, I first burnt my fingers and then realized that the CPU fan was either not working or working at very low speed.
    I wasn't able to resolve that last night, since there were no entries in /proc/acpi/fan/
    EDIT:
    using bios v 1.13 and ubuntu 10.04, 64bit, kernel 2.6.32-22 temperatures are still a bit high, but acceptable (40-45°C when idle and 65-70°C when running on maximum load for half an hour.

Running Ubuntu Lucid with the 2.6.32-22-generic-pae (32bit) kernel, the fan(s) is working as it should, but still no entries in /proc/acpi/fan/ or in /sys/...
    However, I'm still not able to manually set or read the fan speed, which is not a problem, since the fan(s) is working. No overheating problems.

Brightness issue:
    The brightness of the display can not be adjusted (that is true for the 64bit and 32bit kernel) using gnome-power-preferences or the Fn+arrow keys on the keyboard. Using the Fn+arrow keys, the brightness indicator in gnome is called and can be adjusted, but the actual brightness of the display does not change. There is a workaround for this problem that I found elsewhere (I don't remember):

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    Change the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" into
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"
    then run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    In my case this worked.

Integrated microphone issue:
    I couldn't get the integrated microphone to work with pulse or alsa. But then again I haven't put much energy into that.

Headphones issue:
    Wow, this is getting worse and worse: Headphones jack sense seems to work in the sense that when you plug in the headphones you don't get any sound from the integrated speakers. Unfortunately you don't get any sound from the headphones either... I really wonder what I am doing wrong... the system beep is clearly audible via the headphones when the system shuts down. #!%§&
    EDIT:
    I ran the AlsaUpgrade script by soundcheck. No more headphone-issues.

Suspend/Hibernate issue:
    After waking up from suspend, the CPU fan stops working and the CPU frequency is set to max, what an inconvenient combination...
    EDIT: Using bios v1.13 this doesn't happen so frequently any more. But it still does happen.

Multi touch issue:
    That multitouch touchpad stuff has become a bit complicated. I couldn't get that to work either... yet.
    EDIT:
    workaround: #6

Everything else seems to work just fine and out of the box. SD-card reader, HDMI, cpu feq scaling. But it took me a while until I realized that I have to press the wireless toggle button (Fn+F3) to activate wlan AND again to activate bluetooth.

I hope this is of some help to someone. If any of you have an idea how to tackle the integrated mic - problem, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Good luck,
    Peter
    Last edited by peterlustig; May 28th, 2010 at 07:45 AM. Reason: overheating is less with bios v1.13

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire Timeline X 3820T

Quote Originally Posted by peterlustig View Post
    Multi touch issue:
    That multitouch touchpad stuff has become a bit complicated. I couldn't get that to work either... yet.
    Alps touchpad doesnt work well in any noteboook.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hy I have a timelinex 4820TG. FOr the touchpad I have used these:

xinput set-int-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Two-Finger Scrolling" 8 1
    xinput set-int-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Scrolling" 8 1 1
    xinput set-int-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure" 32 10
    xinput set-int-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Width" 32 8

It works for me.

Beans

Hey Giova,
    thanks. Works smoothly indeed. I was trying to integrate all this into a udev rule instead of writing a script yesterday. That's why I wrote that it has become a bit complicated (for me). I read somewhere that putting all this into udev (instead of xorg.conf or as a shell script somewhere else) is the way to do it now. The rule saved in /etc/udev/rules.d/99synaptic.rules looked like this and it didn't do the trick:

Code:
    ACTION!="add|change", GOTO="my_synaptics_end"
    KERNEL!="event*", GOTO="my_synaptics_end"
    ENV{ID_INPUT_TOUCHPAD}!="1", GOTO="my_synaptics_end"

ENV{x11_driver}="synaptics"

ATTR{device/name}=="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad", \
    ENV{x11_options.SHMConfig}="on", \
    ENV{x11_options.EmulateTwoFingerMinZ}="32", \
    ENV{x11_options.EmulateTwoFingerMinW}="32", \
    ENV{x11_options.VertTwoFingerScroll}="1", \
    ENV{x11_options.HorizTwoFingerScroll}="1", \
    ENV{x11_options.TapButton1}="1", \
    ENV{x11_options.TapButton2}="2", \
    ENV{x11_options.TapButton3}="3"

LABEL="my_synaptics_end"
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Peter
    Last edited by peterlustig; May 14th, 2010 at 10:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm sorry but I can't help you, I'm not an expert about udev, but I have found some information here: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to...the_TrackPoint Try to see if this is what you need. I can tell you to don't use options in wich is wrote: EmulateTwoFinger.. because the emulation is used only for old touchpads that don't support native multitouch (and the timelinex supprort native multitouch).

Beans

Hi giova,
    you're right, we don't need the emulation settings. According to the synaptics man page, the option
    "EmulateTwoFingerMinZ" in my udev file is equivalent to the property "Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure"
    and the option "EmulateTwoFingerMinW" is equivalent to "Synaptics Two-Finger Width".
    Thanks for posting that thinkwiki-link.

I made a tiny script /usr/local/bin/multitouch.sh

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    sleep 5
    xinput set-int-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Scrolling" 8 1 1
    exit 0
    after making it executable with
    Code:
    chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/multitouch.sh
    I entered the command /usr/local/bin/multitouch.sh in a new entry in System-->Startup Applications
    Now it works

Thanks for your help! Turns out the touchpad works good enough for my purposes
    Peter
    Last edited by peterlustig; May 15th, 2010 at 01:28 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by peterlustig View Post
    I thought I'd start a thread on the Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820T - 334G32N since I ran into some small issues that at least partially can be solved:
    Thank you, indeed.

I bought this laptop a few days ago, and your information was very useful.

But I don't quite understand Why do I need to configure the touchpad. Is this adds some extra features?
    Last edited by athost; July 6th, 2010 at 02:02 PM.

Beans

Hi! I'm planning on buying this laptop, well not precise this, but 3820TG, and I needed to check how it works with Ubuntu systems. And I must say that I think it looks good, compared to the problems with my Dell m1330 that I bought a couple of years ago.

One thing that I haven't seen any information about is the battery time, with the performance switch put on AND off, how many hours depending on what graphic is put on.

Would be great if anyone could provide me with this information!

Cheers!

Beans

Arrow Re: Acer Aspire Timeline X 3820T

Hi !

Sorry in advance for my bad english.

I bought a 3820T last week. I'm very glad of this laptop and the only unworking feature was the internal mic for skype.

I solved it :

Install parvucontrol to access the pulseaudio control pannel.
    Then go to Input tab.
    The problem is that pulseaudio detects the mic like a stereo device.
    Just unlock the dual channel slide, and setup one channel to 90% and the other to 10%.

With that, the internal mic will work in gnome recorder and skype.

Note that the quality is bad but can be improve by alsamixer and mic boost fader.

If someone success to make the mic quality good, i'm very interested.

I hope it'll help you

edit : alsa-backports-module required for last alsa version
    Last edited by kashikai; July 26th, 2010 at 04:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: Acer Aspire Timeline X 3820T

Hello,

Anyone else have any problems with their audio and video suddenly stopping?

After some time my audio and video sort of just stops working. If I open rythmbox, or movie player, or mplayer and press play, nothing happens (the seek bar doesn't even move, so apparently it doesn't want to play anything). If I open youtube, the video plays, but no sound neither on the stereo nor the headset.

I still haven't found out what I do right before the sound stops, because I probably discover it some time after it stopped working.

So far, the only way I have found to make the sound work again is a reboot, which is kind of troublesome at times.

I'm running ubuntu 10.04, 64-bit, and I have run the alsaupgrader suggested in the first post to get my headset to work.

Thanks for any help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast