Last edited by athost; July 6th, 2010 at 02:02 PM.
Hi! I'm planning on buying this laptop, well not precise this, but 3820TG, and I needed to check how it works with Ubuntu systems. And I must say that I think it looks good, compared to the problems with my Dell m1330 that I bought a couple of years ago.
One thing that I haven't seen any information about is the battery time, with the performance switch put on AND off, how many hours depending on what graphic is put on.
Would be great if anyone could provide me with this information!
Sorry in advance for my bad english.
I bought a 3820T last week. I'm very glad of this laptop and the only unworking feature was the internal mic for skype.
I solved it :
Install parvucontrol to access the pulseaudio control pannel.
Then go to Input tab.
The problem is that pulseaudio detects the mic like a stereo device.
Just unlock the dual channel slide, and setup one channel to 90% and the other to 10%.
With that, the internal mic will work in gnome recorder and skype.
Note that the quality is bad but can be improve by alsamixer and mic boost fader.
If someone success to make the mic quality good, i'm very interested.
I hope it'll help you
edit : alsa-backports-module required for last alsa version
Last edited by kashikai; July 26th, 2010 at 04:42 PM.
Anyone else have any problems with their audio and video suddenly stopping?
After some time my audio and video sort of just stops working. If I open rythmbox, or movie player, or mplayer and press play, nothing happens (the seek bar doesn't even move, so apparently it doesn't want to play anything). If I open youtube, the video plays, but no sound neither on the stereo nor the headset.
I still haven't found out what I do right before the sound stops, because I probably discover it some time after it stopped working.
So far, the only way I have found to make the sound work again is a reboot, which is kind of troublesome at times.
I'm running ubuntu 10.04, 64-bit, and I have run the alsaupgrader suggested in the first post to get my headset to work.
Thanks for any help
Firstly, I want to thank you for useful informations. I bought this laptop and I would like to update BIOS such as you did, but I dont know what method is the best for this laptop.
How have you done update please?
I have downloaded bios 1,13 from Acer-website.
I am running Ubuntu Lucid 64bit, but after bios update I want to run Ubuntu 32bit .
Thank you for advice and sorry for my English.
Irubataru: my audio and video players work except Amarok.
Sorry to bother, but one more thing. Every time I do a system update, the headphones stop working again. If I check alsamixer, they're not there even if they're plugged in, so I run the alsa-upgrade script again to get them working. Any easier way of doing it?
Using PulseAudio Volume Control, I was able to unmute the mic:Integrated microphone issue:
I couldn't get the integrated microphone to work with pulse or alsa. But then again I haven't put much energy into that.
Have anyone encountered problems with ati card (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650) and it's drivers? I plan to buy this laptop but ati cards were always a big problem...
Tutorial, how to solve sound troubles for 3820:
1. Upgrade ALSA: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...10#post6589810
2. To make internal mic work: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1501525