Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Sony VPCCW21FX

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HowTo: Sony VPCCW21FX

First off: Thank you for the solution to the video issue. As long as it get's confirmed I'll edit the first post for that solution.

Second: The wireless issue is a weird one. The 2.6.33 kernel that I have provided uses the stock settings with one exception, I turned on some new debuging features for ath9k. This may have been the fix. Give it a shot and see if it works for you. If you want to track it, I'd say follow these.
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15313
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/518818

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I looked at the links you posted and saw that another person had problems with 2.6.34. Maybe you really did the fix =)
    I tried to use the kernel packages you provided, but all that I could get after installing the .deb packages was a 'kernel panic'. I will download those again and give it a retry. But if it fails again could you send your kernel config file for me to try it out?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That's weird. You are running a 64 bit system, right? Here is the config I used.
    http://darkstang.com/vpccw21fx/kernel-config
    Like I said, the only thing that I really changed was the ath9k debugging, which means some extra things are turned on. But I figured I can always go back and recompile if I want to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Onhafoghefifo, i have a question, the nomodeset option should always be written in the grub menu to avoid the problems with the "blackscreen"???? I ask because without option i have a blackscreen.

Thanks by your time, and your help, i wrote this message with my vaio vpccw21fx running the marvelous Ubuntu 10.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dark_Stang, yes I am running a 64 bit version. I've just tried again and again got a kernel panic. Also tried to use your kernel config file, but ended up in the same kernel panic problem.
    Is your wifi working flawlessly? I don't know what and if I am doing something wrong.

jjchm, unfortunately yes. I don't remember what I did the first time to get it work without the nomodeset option during boot, but it can happen. I think it was because first of all I tried to install the nvidia driver from apt-get. When I did it, I could boot without the nomodeset option, but I got a really weird screen on startup. It was like my screen was divided in 2 columns and 3 rows, but the last row was missing, the first 2 rows were 1 row below they should be, and the 2 columns were in the wrong position. After that I installed the driver from nvidia site, and it worked as it should, without nomodeset. Is your wifi working flawlessly? I have about 40% packet loss even when pinging my router, like Dark_Stang said in one of those bug tracker sites.
    Last edited by onhafoghefifo; June 5th, 2010 at 07:16 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

onhafoghefifo: My wireless is working 100%, as far as I can tell. No packet loss and no crazy high ping times. Torrenting, streaming media to my PS3, playing online games (including WoW through WINE), surfing the web... You name it, and it works. I don't understand why you're getting a kernel panic. And I really don't understand why you'd have a kernel panic if your laptop compiled the kernel. You don't have anything added to your boot lines for grub, do you? Also, you copied over or made the ramdisk image, right? I forget that every time I compile a new kernel.

jjchm: Have you installed the nVidia drivers yet? After you do that you shouldn't need nomodeset in the boot line.

Edit: If either of you are on try hitting me up on gtalk.
    DarkStang@gmail.com
    If I'm at work I won't be able to help you, but I'm always on it.
    Last edited by Dark_Stang; June 6th, 2010 at 02:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

jjchm, any good news from your side? I've tried basically anything and my wireless still the same. Couple of things left to try. Have you managed to make it work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dark_Stang: I'll tell you what i did to run the screen of my vpccw21fx, first install ubuntu in alternate mode (live CD don't work in my vaio) with the nomodeset option activate, when the installation finishes i can boot my ubuntu 10.04 in normal mode but with bad graphics so i install the drivers of de nvidia official site (195 version, i think, the latest), i followed your steps of the first guide, kill the gdm, and i used your xorg.conf, don't use the sonycw.bin, with this i could get working with Ubuntu 10.04 in my vpccw21fx. I need activate the nomodeset activate for working, if this option is desactivated, i got a black screen.

Onhafoghefifo: I have not worked yet with the wireless, in my home i used the internet with UTP, so i can't play with the wireless , but in my work i'll play with this, i like to try first with the compat-wireless.

Ubuntu rocks, thanks to all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Onhafoghefifo: You tried this method?:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...ng_your_driver (Check the part "Getting compat-wireless on Ubuntu")

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jjchm View Post
    Dark_Stang: I'll tell you what i did to run the screen of my vpccw21fx, first install ubuntu in alternate mode (live CD don't work in my vaio) with the nomodeset option activate, when the installation finishes i can boot my ubuntu 10.04 in normal mode but with bad graphics so i install the drivers of de nvidia official site (195 version, i think, the latest), i followed your steps of the first guide, kill the gdm, and i used your xorg.conf, don't use the sonycw.bin, with this i could get working with Ubuntu 10.04 in my vpccw21fx. I need activate the nomodeset activate for working, if this option is desactivated, i got a black screen.
    So you still have to use nomodeset to get video? I still haven't had to use that option.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast