Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: WPA Problems with 10.4 and a Sony Vaio laptop

Beans

Re: WPA Problems with 10.4 and a Sony Vaio laptop

Curiousity rears its ugly head. Is there any possibility that for some reason WPA is disabled on the driver/kernel level? When I check to see what my wireless is capable of it shows wpa & wpa2 but it's just a niggling question that's bothering me. Sorry for asking silly questions. I really want to use Ubuntu on this laptop, especially as quickly as it has been performing with the exception of wireless. It's just that the Windows XP license that came with this laptop is tempting me to go digging for my Windows XP CD again . Any other suggestions are welcome of course.

Beans

Bumping this up to see if anybody else has any ideas. Still plugging away. Tried the latest experimental kernal from mainline, still no go.

Beans

Curiousity rears its ugly head. Is there any possibility that for some reason WPA is disabled on the driver/kernel level?
    That would be totally idiotic to have a driver or anything setup that way. But not outside the realm of possibility. Not a stupid question either.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans

*shakes head* The easiest solutions are what I should always try first and I forgot to try this one. Turns out that doing a hard reset on my Linksys WRT54G was all that was needed. Once it rebooted I connected again with my WPA2 passphrase and it let me hookup without a hitch. Will mark this as solved.
    Last edited by dafreak; May 18th, 2010 at 05:01 AM.

Beans

Glad to hear it.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool Re: WPA Problems with 10.4 and a Sony Vaio laptop

I have a similar setup - Sony laptop, BG2200 wireless - and my problem is that I cannot make a wireless connection reliably. It will connect, then drop, then reconnect and so on. Last 3/4 mins max. I have reset my router, and now changed it to no effect. W7 works perfectly...
    Ubuntu 10.04, Sony VAIO FS415B, Intel BG2200 wireless.

Any ideas?

Andy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by HedgeBoar View Post
    I actually got mine to work last night -- I changed the router from using TKIP/AES to just TKIP and it connects fine now!
    If you change it to just AES, it will also work fine. That way you don't need to use a weaker encryption method. It's just when you have TKIP/AES at the same time.

Thanks for your post though, I wouldn't have been able to sort out my network problems without it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm staring at my parents' Sony Vaio, which is running 10.10, fully updated, and using a "PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection" as per lshw. It is having the exact same problem I have had with every Ubuntu laptop I have looked at for almost two years now: the "Enable Wireless" option in Network Manager is grayed out and cannot be selected or modified.

On all of my desktops (you know, the machines I have connected by ethernet cable) the wireless works just fine, of course. But not a single laptop has wireless since at least Karmic. What the hell is going on?
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234