Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WPA Problems with 10.4 and a Sony Vaio laptop

Beans

Re: WPA Problems with 10.4 and a Sony Vaio laptop

Quote Originally Posted by dafreak View Post
    When I disabled security on the router it simply showed up on the list as an unsecured router and I clicked on it to connect. It didn't ask for a password but it also was not able to connect.
    That may be but the Network Manager may still be trying to use the passkey entered for that signal even though an unsecured network won't ask for a passkey. However, if you can't connect to the network and assuming the above isn't the issue, then you likely have a problem with the driver.

This may have nothing to do with Ubuntu at all. If this is a Windows (especially 7) managed network, you may need to manually add your computer to the network either through Windows or through the Network Summary.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by warfacegod View Post
    That may be but the Network Manager may still be trying to use the passkey entered for that signal even though an unsecured network won't ask for a passkey. However, if you can't connect to the network and assuming the above isn't the issue, then you likely have a problem with the driver.

This may have nothing to do with Ubuntu at all. If this is a Windows (especially 7) managed network, you may need to manually add your computer to the network either through Windows or through the Network Summary.
    Wait, what?

I do have Windows 7 on the network yes, and I do also have a Windows 2000 Server on the network as well. However no system that connects to the network is required to authenticate with them to obtain an IP address. The IP address handling is done purely by the router.

Beans

Ok, I did a reinstall of 10.04 and I can now connect to my network if it is not secured. I must've messed up something in my network settings on the previous install and a fresh install fixed it. Still cannot connect to a WPA secured network though. If it wasn't so dang insecure I'd leave it unsecured and just enable MAC filtering, but that's a laughable attempt at security.

Beans

Insecure would be the definition of Unsecured, sort of.

I've had my laptop try to connect to several networks with 7 machines on them. On all of them, the guy on the 7 machine had to manually add me to the network before I could connect even with the correct passkey. Although, now that I think about it, all of them where on Comcast Cable Internet and it may have been a Comcast thing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by warfacegod View Post
    Insecure would be the definition of Unsecured, sort of.

I've had my laptop try to connect to several networks with 7 machines on them. On all of them, the guy on the 7 machine had to manually add me to the network before I could connect even with the correct passkey. Although, now that I think about it, all of them where on Comcast Cable Internet and it may have been a Comcast thing.

Well like I said before I'm willing to try anything. When you say add you to the network are you talking about adding your system to the windows homegroup? Not sure how that would affect DHCP but we'll give it a shot.

Beans

I'm pretty sure they where using some program that accessed the router's Network Summary directly. I know very little about Vista or 7 and wish I didn't know what I do. I can't even tell the difference between the two by looking at them. My apologies for giving you so little to go on and also if this ends up being a Red Herring.

Beans

Thanks for helping anyways . I'll keep reading forum posts and looking for possible solutions to the problem. I think their router may have allowed direct interaction through Windows 7, mine does not support that functionality. If all else fails I may just turn on AP Isolation on my router and set it to MAC secured, but I'm going to keep trying a good long time before I do something like that.

Beans

Perseverance.

Beans

Re: WPA Authentication Issue. Sony Vaio laptop. Please help

Just thought I'd give a quick update to this thread. Still not able to connect to a WPA encrypted network. At the suggestion of the #ubuntu chatroom I tried installing the wpa_gui tool. It installs and runs but does not display any network cards on its dropdown. What that's indicative of (if anything) I'm not sure though.

Beans

Probably nothing. Its likely that the GUI just isn't seeing your card and/or driver.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast