Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ralink rt2860 using ndiswrapper, eeepc 1000H running ubuntu netbook remix 10.04

Beans

Re: Ralink rt2860 using ndiswrapper, eeepc 1000H running ubuntu netbook remix 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by nucleuskore View Post
    Background:
    Getting your Ralink rt2860 card to work using ndiswrapper on your eeepc 1000H running ubuntu netbook remix 10.04

I tried various tricks to get my card to work, installed a new kernel, compiled the driver from source. Nothing worked for me. My network is as follows: SSID hidden, WPA, AES encryption
    So as a lost resort I tried ndiswrapper and it worked for me, so here goes !

Now this method works with the default kernel you have installed. Mine is 2.6.32-22-generic. And a word of caution before you use this method. I have to disconnect and reconnect 2-3 times through the network applet to initiate the connection, but once it is established it is rock stable. In case it does not connect, you have to right click on the network connection icon, click edit connections and delete the connection listed form the wireless networks, and add it again. I have browsed on this connection for upto an hour without it dropping even once. I have even rebooted my system and can verify that you do not have to do any voodoo to get it working, except for the fact that 2-3 repeat connect/disconnect attempts may be required.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update: Alternate to the above: After the desktop loads disconnect from any wireless network and wait for 3-4 minutes. Then attempt the WPA or WPA2 connection, the wireless card connects IMMEDIATELY, without the need for repeat connection attempts or deleting/reading the station.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Methodology:
    Connect through a wired connection and open synaptic. Mark, download and install

ndisgtk
    ndiswrapper-utils
    ndiswrapper-common

Download the driver for gigabyte ws30n from here or here. It uses the same chipset. Extract all the files to a folder.

Click on the network manager applet and disconnect any active wireless connection.

On your desktop, click on Accessories->Terminal and run these two commands

sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
    sudo rmmod rt2860sta
    sudo depmod -a

On your desktop, click on System, and under administration click on Windows wireless drivers. A nice graphical interface opens up. Click on install a new driver and browse to the folder you extracted the downloaded driver files, and in that folder browse to drivers/GN-WI30N_WP30N_WS30N_WS30HN_WS31N/WINXP2K and select the inf file. The driver will then be automatically installed.

You can now click on the network applet icon and configure your wireless network as normal.

References:
    Thanks to all these great guys for sharing their experience

1. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1086165
    2. http://www.wireless-driver.com/downl...rs-utility.htm
    3. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper
    a big big thank you for this post as it seems to have resolved my erratic wifi connection using Ubuntu Netbook remix and Medion Akoya E1210 netbook

Beans

Re: Ralink rt2860 using ndiswrapper, eeepc 1000H running ubuntu netbook remix 10.04

Thank you Nucleuskore!! I was never going to figure that out. My computer can now work.

Beans

Worked well on my 901. Thank you. You've saved me a lot of time and headaches.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Thank you so much for posting this tutorial!!! it worked, and was easier and better than a different one I was trying.

To anyone who has any ubuntu flavor 10.10 or above, I found I DID STILL need this tutorial even though the instructions say it is no longer needed: I have EEE PC 1000 16GB SSD which came with XP, but I installed Lubuntu 11.04, which is snappier than XP on this machine. Wireless worked for a little while, then just would not anymore, until I followed these instructions.

THANKS!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi

Thanks for your feedback. I said that this tutorial is redundant as the card works fine with the new kernel; I have Ubuntu 11.04 on my eeepc 1000H and I am not using ndiswrapper. However I do note that it takes time too connect to hidden wireless networks, like my network at home, sometimes up to a minute. Anyway you use what works best for you Cheers

Beans

Re: Ralink rt2860 running ubuntu netbook remix 10.04

Same problem on my machine (HP mini 110).

1. Ralink wireless driver (RT3090) does not function with Ubuntu UNR 10.04. (run from Live CD - actually from a Live SD write locked SD card created as Live USB)
    2. Once driver is functioning, connections to non-broadcasting SSID routers fail.

These steps will make the connection ...

1. requires:
    Code:
    sudo su
    mkdir -p /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/
    touch /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat
    service network-manager restart
    exit
    and
    2. requires forcing NM (Network Manager) to see the "hidden" network service (it helps to right click NM and toggle the Enable Wireless option off (to disable) & then on again) using
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid <non-broadcast SSID> key s:<ASCII passcode string>

The first command sequence fixes:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep RT
    [   35.973068] RtmpOSFileOpen(): Error 2 opening /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat
    [   35.973078] Open file "/etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat" failed!
    [   36.297303] RtmpOSFileOpen(): Error 2 opening /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat
    [   36.297312] Open file "/etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat" failed!
    [  200.006646] Read file "/etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat" failed(errCode=0)!

The second terminal command is needed in Ubuntu to coerce the protocol connection from Network Manager while Dis/En-abling Wireless Networking.

ref:
    Re: How To: Manual Network Configuration without the need for Network Manager
    Ubuntu can not connect a wireless RaLink RT3090 to a hidden network
    Re: Can't connect to hidden wireless in Ubuntu 10.10
    Last edited by nowifi; February 20th, 2012 at 11:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12