Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ralink rt2860 using ndiswrapper, eeepc 1000H running ubuntu netbook remix 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ralink rt2860 using ndiswrapper, eeepc 1000H running ubuntu netbook remix 10.04

I would like to point out to all visitors that Ubuntu 10.10 supports visible and hidden WPA2-PSK encrypted wireless networks on the eeepc 1000H, out of the box. There is no need to download the backports or any drivers, or fiddle around with ndiswrapper as described in this post.

Background:
    Getting your Ralink rt2860 card to work using ndiswrapper on your eeepc 1000H running ubuntu netbook remix 10.04

I tried various tricks to get my card to work, installed a new kernel, compiled the driver from source. Nothing worked for me. My network is as follows: SSID hidden, WPA, AES encryption
    So as a lost resort I tried ndiswrapper and it worked for me, so here goes !

Now this method works with the default kernel you have installed. Mine is 2.6.32-22-generic. And a word of caution before you use this method. I have to disconnect and reconnect 2-3 times through the network applet to initiate the connection, but once it is established it is rock stable. In case it does not connect, you have to right click on the network connection icon, click edit connections and delete the connection listed form the wireless networks, and add it again. I have browsed on this connection for upto an hour without it dropping even once. I have even rebooted my system and can verify that you do not have to do any voodoo to get it working, except for the fact that 2-3 repeat connect/disconnect attempts may be required.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update: Alternate to the above: After the desktop loads disconnect from any wireless network and wait for 3-4 minutes. Then attempt the WPA or WPA2 connection, the wireless card connects IMMEDIATELY, without the need for repeat connection attempts or deleting/reading the station.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Methodology:
    Connect through a wired connection and open synaptic. Mark, download and install

ndisgtk
    ndiswrapper-utils
    ndiswrapper-common

Download the driver for gigabyte ws30n from here or here. It uses the same chipset. Extract all the files to a folder.

Click on the network manager applet and disconnect any active wireless connection.

On your desktop, click on Accessories->Terminal and run these two commands

sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
    sudo rmmod rt2860sta
    sudo depmod -a

On your desktop, click on System, and under administration click on Windows wireless drivers. A nice graphical interface opens up. Click on install a new driver and browse to the folder you extracted the downloaded driver files, and in that folder browse to drivers/GN-WI30N_WP30N_WS30N_WS30HN_WS31N/WINXP2K and select the inf file. The driver will then be automatically installed.

You can now click on the network applet icon and configure your wireless network as normal.

References:
    Thanks to all these great guys for sharing their experience

1. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1086165
    2. http://www.wireless-driver.com/downl...rs-utility.htm
    3. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper
    Last edited by nucleuskore; January 24th, 2011 at 06:25 PM.

Beans

Re: Ralink rt2860 using ndiswrapper, eeepc 1000H running ubuntu netbook remix 10.04

IT JUST WORKS!
    I'm a bit disappointed it didn't work out of the box. I tried disabling the ipv6 and installing the native driver from ralinktech but nothing worked. I have wasted a lot of time trying to fix the network after update to 10.04. What's a netbook without net...
    Thank you so much for gathering the informations and making this easy and functional howto!
    Regards,
    Andrei

Beans
    Distro

Re: Ralink rt2860 using ndiswrapper, eeepc 1000H running ubuntu netbook remix 10.04

Thank you for your feedback.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Please explain me if that happens with a x64 system, too.

I tried to set my card with Linux driver from Ralink website at no result. Also, using the original CD from my notebook, I tried to use Vista drivers, but I received the message that the drivers are only for 32 bit distribution, not 64 .

Any suggestions ?

Thank you.

One more question : if I try to use the drivers from Win7, where are they located ? (I have dual boot system, Win7 plus Ubuntu 10.04 now)

Beans
    Distro

I suggest you follow my tutorial upto sudo depmod -a

Then...as follows for 64 bit

On your desktop, click on System, and under administration click on Windows wireless drivers. A nice graphical interface opens up. Click on install a new driver and browse to the folder you extracted the downloaded driver files, and in that folder browse to drivers/GN-WI30N_WP30N_WS30N_WS30HN_WS31N/WINX64 and select the inf file. The driver will then be automatically installed.

You can now click on the network applet icon and configure your wireless network as normal.

I am eagerly awaiting your feedback!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you for making my netbook useful again! Your directions were easy to follow and complete.

Beans

Just a note to say thank you very much. Your instructions brought my eeepc back to life

Beans

Did you try using the backport modules?
    I noticed mine worked out of the box on my meerkat testing install so I tried installing the meerkat kernel on lucid and internet worked fine (not the recommended way of doing it).

Just thought the backport module might work also.

Beans

Just wanted to let out a big THANK YOU!

Worked perfectly on my 901!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nucleuskore View Post
    Background:
    Getting your Ralink rt2860 card to work using ndiswrapper on your eeepc 1000H running ubuntu netbook remix 10.04

I tried various tricks to get my card to work, installed a new kernel, compiled the driver from source. Nothing worked for me. My network is as follows: SSID hidden, WPA, AES encryption
    So as a lost resort I tried ndiswrapper and it worked for me, so here goes !

Now this method works with the default kernel you have installed. Mine is 2.6.32-22-generic. And a word of caution before you use this method. I have to disconnect and reconnect 2-3 times through the network applet to initiate the connection, but once it is established it is rock stable. In case it does not connect, you have to right click on the network connection icon, click edit connections and delete the connection listed form the wireless networks, and add it again. I have browsed on this connection for upto an hour without it dropping even once. I have even rebooted my system and can verify that you do not have to do any voodoo to get it working, except for the fact that 2-3 repeat connect/disconnect attempts may be required.

Update: Alternate to the above: After the desktop loads disconnect from any wireless network and wait for 3-4 minutes. Then attempt the WPA or WPA2 connection, the wireless card connects IMMEDIATELY, without the need for repeat connection attempts or deleting/reading the station.

Methodology:
    Connect through a wired connection and open synaptic. Mark, download and install

ndisgtk
    ndiswrapper-utils
    ndiswrapper-common

Download the driver for gigabyte ws30n from here or here. It uses the same chipset. Extract all the files to a folder.

Click on the network manager applet and disconnect any active wireless connection.

On your desktop, click on Accessories->Terminal and run these two commands

sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
    sudo rmmod rt2860sta
    sudo depmod -a

On your desktop, click on System, and under administration click on Windows wireless drivers. A nice graphical interface opens up. Click on install a new driver and browse to the folder you extracted the downloaded driver files, and in that folder browse to drivers/GN-WI30N_WP30N_WS30N_WS30HN_WS31N/WINXP2K and select the inf file. The driver will then be automatically installed.

References:
    Thanks to all these great guys for sharing their experience

1. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1086165
    2. http://www.wireless-driver.com/downl...rs-utility.htm
    3. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper
    THANK YOU, it worked for me.

I have a Hanspree netbook installed Ubuntu netremix. The network adapter is RaLink RT2860. The wireless worked fine until an software update. I didn't realize that it is a driver problem, assumed the newer version should continue to support what has been supported. I tried to fix it for months without success.

Fortunately, I found your solution from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1476007&page=4. The instruction is very clear.

Again, THANK YOU for the solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast