Thread: Is nobody selling linux netbooks in the UK anymore?

Beans

Is nobody selling linux netbooks in the UK anymore?

Hi Folks,

I'm after a netbook for around £200 with ubuntu or any linux installed but nobody seems to sell linux netbooks anymore, it's all Windows 7. Yuk.

The Dell Mini 10v from the Carphone Warehouse is £200, but has Windows 7 pre-installed. How hard is it to remove Windows and install Ubuntu on one of these ? The 10v used to come with Ubuntu, but sadly no longer does.

Help and advice is much appreciated,
    Nictu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is nobody selling linux netbooks in the UK anymore?

If it's any consolation, I can't find Linux netbooks here in the US, either. I just extensively shopped for Linux netbooks, and couldn't find a darn one, except older, very low-end models with tiny solid-state drives instead of a hard disk.

I ended up getting Asus Eee PCs (1001P-MU17). They come with Windows 7 Starter (motto: "Now 100% free of useful features!"), but it doesn't look that tough to install Ubuntu Netbook Remix via a USB drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Re: Is nobody selling linux netbooks in the UK anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by nictu View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm after a netbook for around £200 with ubuntu or any linux installed but nobody seems to sell linux netbooks anymore, it's all Windows 7. Yuk.

The Dell Mini 10v from the Carphone Warehouse is £200, but has Windows 7 pre-installed. How hard is it to remove Windows and install Ubuntu on one of these ? The 10v used to come with Ubuntu, but sadly no longer does.

Nictu.

It is actually quite simple to clear out win7 and do a fresh install of linux. I can't personally vouch for the specific machine that you are looking at, but you can create a live usb pen drive and boot from it. Then you can install from it. Check out the netbook version of ubuntu and/or the ubuntu light version. I think it is called Ubuntu Unity.

-Spydey

Beans

Re: Is nobody selling linux netbooks in the UK anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by nictu View Post
    Hi Folks,

Nictu.
    Download http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook (I have not actually downloaded this version but I presume it gives you the same options as Ubuntu desktop)!

Create flash drive!!

Run the live flash drive option! (Gives you the option to try but not install)!

Check everything is working correctly (audio, video, wireless, etc)!

Then be bold an install Ubuntu!

There is other stuff to consider such as what type of partitions you wish to create!

Or you can go with the auto option and use the whole hard disk!

Not an expert but if your netbook is compatible it shouldn't be a problem!

I'm still a novice so seek further advice before committing!
    Last edited by dowtish; May 12th, 2010 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Corrections

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Is nobody selling linux netbooks in the UK anymore?

Novatech sell the X10 for £200 which is similar. It has no OS at that price.
    Novatech also has a communtity linux forum and there is a report of Ubuntu on this machine there.

http://forum.novatech.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16907

[I've no relation to novatech other than being a customer.]