Thread: Monitoring server stats remotly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Monitoring server stats remotly

I didn't setup our old system but that server has since been retired due to hardware failure, but we have some new webervers, and a new postgtres database server in place which I need monitoring.

Some items include database size, transactions per second, io stats, memory monitoring, or as the DBA put "anything I can get". We had used CACTI in the past for these items, but I didn't do the setup and sondering if that is what is recommended, or something else. I am looking at groundwork open source which include nagios, etc. but figured I would consult the uforums since all these servers are running userver 9.x and 10.x

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Beans

Re: Monitoring server stats remotly

Nagios is probably going to be my recommendation, just because it's so extesnible and configurable, you can probably get everything your DBA wants and then some.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yea, groundwork uses the built-in nagios engine but I remember a while back the config was not user friendly at all! I got the zenoss link from the Ubunutu server page so doing some reading on that as well.

Thanks.

Beans

Nagios... isn't so friendly. But very powerful, if you do take the time to learn it... That's the tradeoff. There's some packages you can buy, but then you're trading your hard-earned cash for time.