Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HP Wireless card not installed/working...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: HP Wireless card not installed/working...

Good to hear you can see networks now; that's progress!

I've never used Ubuntu Studio, but if it uses Gnome as its desktop environment, you probably need to install the package network-manager-gnome, and not just network-manager, to get NetworkManager working. You may also need to start the applet manually by typing:
    Code:
    nm-applet
    Another thing to try is installing wicd, another connection manager that may work better than wifi radar. You can install wicd with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wicd
    Then launch it from the Applications>Internet menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I forgot to add the information last night.
    Sadly, I did and still am trying to get Wicd to work. It coughs up where WiFi Radar does. At obtaining the IP address.

Trying to connect wireless messes up the laptops network connecting capabilities. After one attempt, eth0 becomes unstable. Connects and may disconnect at random. If I turn off Firefox for example, it may reconnect. Other times not.

Very odd.

Code:
    yusuf@yusuf:~$ nm-applet
    An instance of nm-applet is already running.

** (nm-applet:2215): WARNING **: <WARN>  constructor(): Couldn't initialize the D-Bus manager.
    I already have the gnome-network-manager installed. Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks pytheas22

Beans
    Distro

Are you positive the notification area is visible? Do you see any other icons there? On my system, there's an applet for setting the keyboard layout (its icon is the letters "USA"), as well as an icon for Dropbox, in the notification area.

It could also be worth trying to reinstall NetworkManager from scratch, just in case that helps. You can purge it by typing:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge network-manager
    Then reinstall with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
    Also, another solution would be to figure out how to make the connection work without relying on NetworkManager. If you could please post the output of:

Code:
    sudo iwlist scan
    and tell me the name of your network, we could try connecting from the command line. If that works, we can probably figure out how to get it to work in wicd and wifi radar as well.

Sorry things are not going as well as we'd like, but thanks for your patience!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Smile Re: HP Wireless card not installed/working...

Hey pytheas22,

some good news. I'm finally connected to my wireless network!
    Through Wicd nonetheless.
    Are you positive the notification area is visible?
    Yep positive. Guess what? After purging the network manager, the icon appears. Restarting/Reinstalling makes it disappear. Its not functioning at all so I reinstalled it like you said. It then disappears. Bringing up the Network Manager through Add to Panel, is something different...

The step that did fix my problem with obtaining the IP I believe was most likely purging the network manager, then reinstalling it.
    EDIT: Do not reinstall it. I confirm that without the network manager, only then does my wireless card work.

A great big thanks to you pytheas22
    I'll monitor if anything changes, but I think I'm good to go now!

You rock mate
    Last edited by myromance123; May 18th, 2010 at 10:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Good to hear you're online

Beans

Smile Re: HP Wireless card not installed/working...

Hey do you think you could check out my thread about pretty much the same thing but I went through everything you said but came up with very similar results but they don't work
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...0541:confused:

Beans

Had the same problem getting my hp dv2500 laptop to connect to wireless networks after installing ubuntu studio 10.04. Removing the network manager and then restarting my computer worked as well for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12