Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are UF Staff selected ?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

How are UF Staff selected ?

The process has never been formally documented so far. If you carefully search this category (FFH) you will find several threads where we have been explaining how we get new Staff in, and that's it

For several years, integrating new Staff people has been a rather easy process : current Staff would suggest new names, the FC (in particular ubuntu-geek and matthew) would work on a list and selected people would get invited to join.

With the strong and steady expansion of our community, the process needs a better definition so that other FC members can handle it too. We will continue to ask the current Staff for suggestions, it has worked really well so far.

We have been adding new Staff roughly before every new Ubuntu release, before a jump in user number, so that people have time to adjust and learn the tools and habits. Two volunteering FC members will be delegated to handle the process.

Four main steps take place :

a) A post is created in the Staff area asking for suggestions
    b) Two FC members compile a list of names from the suggestions
    c) They present the list to the FC to vote on
    d) They approach the new Staff by PM and ask them if they would like to join

After they accept, new Staff forums permissions are adjusted to place them in the UF Staff group and grant them access to the appropriate IRC channels.

Once a year, the delegated FC members will track Staff who are MIA.

bodhi.zazen and myself have volunteered and been designed by the FC to take the lead on this project. Matthew will mentor us as he had been taking care of the process with UG so far.

The essential part of this post has been documented in the Forums FAQ and linked in the Guide to Forum features.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: How are UF Staff selected ?

Thanks for explaining the never before documented process!
    Sounds like lottery fishing though one must not have expectations and sulk in disappointment.

Unfortunately these methods are essential to prevent stuff getting out of hand. Many volunteers never reach their goal. Even on launchpad, some talented people have the misfortune to not be selected in Ubuntu contributing teams.

I sometimes am under the impression that http://ubuntuforums.org/profile.php?do=editusergroupsthis page is useless.
    Last edited by bapoumba; May 11th, 2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Fixed typo in thread title

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

bapoumba
    b) Two FC members compile a list of names from the suggestions
    Not that I'm concerned.

It appears the way to becoming a member will principally be determined by the two FC members that compile the list to be voted on. Please correctly me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that limit the choices to potentially only those candidates the two FC members determine are worthy? I'm not questioning their integrity, only the process.

Perhaps, I misunderstand the process.
    Will the two FC members responsible to compile the list, use some form of criteria in determining the candidate(s) that best fit or would prove most beneficial to the FC? Or is it, simply a decision of preference? Seems only logical that a set of criteria be established with a value system assigned for use in compiling the list. From the list provided to the two FC members (for determination), the selection list to be voted on would then be based on each individual candidate's merits as defined by the criteria. This would obviously minimize the potential for preference and said criteria could be published.

I'm not even certain that "criteria" is relevant, since the staff is selected by other staff members. Thus, preference may play a significant role in the entire selection process. Obviously, my ignorance of the process is blatant.

Thank you for the opportunity to question the process and for enlightening those of us who may have little understanding of the process. Of course, I may be the only one.
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans

All staff have in put
    This account is not active.

Beans

Sounds like a good way to choose new Staff to me!

P.S. Sign me up!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlynmac View Post
    It appears the way to becoming a member will principally be determined by the two FC members that compile the list to be voted on. Please correctly me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that limit the choices to potentially only those candidates the two FC members determine are worthy? I'm not questioning their integrity, only the process.
    All Staff have always been informed that suggestions were open. We start a thread in the Staff area and anyone is welcome to suggest names, discuss, give input as Kiwi said etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamlynmac View Post
    Perhaps, I misunderstand the process.
    Will the two FC members responsible to compile the list, use some form of criteria in determining the candidate(s) that best fit or would prove most beneficial to the FC? Or is it, simply a decision of preference?
    Criteria, hmm, we do not have any guidelines or written criteria to suggest people. Spontaneously, we suggest people who are helpful, who spend time helping others on the forums, who maybe have certain skills (gaming, security, network, law, whatever, but that is not a requirement) and who have no infraction. That means they can be active here and follow the CoC. When on rare occasions we suggested people with a small infraction, we always ended up choosing persons with no infraction. Staff will have to be the Police, the Judge, the Counsellor, the Role Model, name it

From the list, where everyone who wants it suggests about 5 names (no one is forced to answer), we pull about 5 names. About. Depends. That's the magic part.

I like it that way, it enforces some kind of family feeling. We need to trust each other, as we are all scattered over the timezones. We may start something and have someone else finish it.

We have guidelines for the Staff, so that we are all on the same page. We talk a lot, A LOT, ask for input and discuss decisions. Some discussions can be heated. It has worked very well so far. And remember, we are here on our free time, so we have fun too. A lot
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

bapoumba
    Thank you for taking the time to explain. I've spent no time investigating the Forums procedures for recruitment and appreciate the feedback regarding how the system works.

It's been my experience that if something works - leave it alone.

I'm aware your all volunteers and understand that trust and time are critical.

Thanks again for explaining.
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    When on rare occasions we suggested people with a small infraction, we always ended up choosing persons with no infraction. Staff will have to be the Police, the Judge, the Counsellor, the Role Model, name it
    Now I know I'll never be proposed, I have a 10 point infraction (Expired) that I really didn't expect would originate from the post concerned.

Yet I'm sure there are deserving people with no infraction who don't get nominated with this system you mentioned.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

kio_http
    Now I know I'll never be proposed, I have a 10 point infraction (Expired) that I really didn't expect would originate from the post concerned.

Yet I'm sure there are deserving people with no infraction who don't get nominated with this system you mentioned.
    Considering that the selection process is one of bias (due to specific needs and interactions as defined) I'd suggest one not worry about being recruited. Since there is no documented criteria or obtainable objectives other than those already explained, might I suggest one simply enjoy the Forums.

It's been my experience that should one get involved in placing emphasis on an objective such as this, it can be demoralizing when not selected. Rather than consuming one's self with the idea, why not simply let it go and seek one's own level of participation. The Elusive Butterfly. Let it come to you, instead of chasing it. If it doesn't, then there's no loss - as no energy was invested in chasing it.

Just my $0.02 and not meant to offend anyone.
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post

I know many a post where the mods have replied the got one infraction before. Don't let that stop you!
    Do not PM for Support.
    Ubuntu Austria LoCo Admin
    Projects: Connary Internet Browser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast