Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: How are UF Staff selected ?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How are UF Staff selected ?

    Not to mention all the different Time zones we're, some of us are just getting up while others are going to bed.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    France.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: How are UF Staff selected ?

    I'm not sure our current process leaves that many people out. It may, but valuable people will get noticed, eventually.

    I like the process being somewhat informal, as we primarily give trust when we bump the account into the mods group. They have (and I had when I got selected) access to everything, right away. People having been around for a longer period of time give support and input to the new ones, that works well. Each Staff member brings something unique to the team, and UF is what it is because of who we all are
    A formal election process would remove that spirit and UF may loose a part of its soul.

    We will never make everyone happy.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

    | Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Beans
    9,213
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How are UF Staff selected ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    I'm not sure our current process leaves that many people out. It may, but valuable people will get noticed, eventually.

    I like the process being somewhat informal, as we primarily give trust when we bump the account into the mods group. They have (and I had when I got selected) access to everything, right away. People having been around for a longer period of time give support and input to the new ones, that works well. Each Staff member brings something unique to the team, and UF is what it is because of who we all are
    A formal election process would remove that spirit and UF may loose a part of its soul.

    We will never make everyone happy.
    I agree with everything said here.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

    Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    597
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: How are UF Staff selected ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Not to mention all the different Time zones we're, some of us are just getting up while others are going to bed.
    I am not convinced. A search for posts indicates that they are inactive.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    597
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: How are UF Staff selected ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    A formal election process would remove that spirit and UF may loose a part of its soul.

    We will never make everyone happy.
    The loss of that soul may be a ggod thing.

    You can try to make the majority happy.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    /usr/share/your_fridge
    Beans
    1,624
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: How are UF Staff selected ?

    Inactive in posts maybe; what about Closed forum discussions that do not show up?

    Democracy is two regular users and a Mod voting over who is more power-hungry
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

    Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Beans
    9,213
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How are UF Staff selected ?

    Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Not to mention all the different Time zones we're, some of us are just getting up while others are going to bed.
    I am not convinced. A search for posts indicates that they are inactive.
    We don't have specific activity requirements for the volunteers on our staff because sometimes life gets in the way. We generally know where everyone is and their activity level/ability. There are specific times when we (mainly I) take time to contact every staff member and check up on how they are doing if it isn't already obvious. Sometimes people who have become inactive step down at that time, but as long as we can contact them and know what is going on in their lives we don't remove staff or force them to step down based on activity levels.

    Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    The loss of that soul may be a ggod thing.

    You can try to make the majority happy.
    No, the loss of that soul would most emphatically NOT be a good thing. It is what has made us what we are. Oh, and the majority are happy.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

    Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    597
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: How are UF Staff selected ?

    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    We don't have specific activity requirements for the volunteer
    No, the loss of that soul would most emphatically NOT be a good thing. It is what has made us what we are. Oh, and the majority are happy.
    Glad to know that admins are aware of everyone's abilities.

    I would also like to add that, I'm quite happy with the way the forums are as well. The only thing I'm looking forward to is that "Server and System Upgrade" that has long been talked about. As to that, can't the admins open up a donation box for this purpose specifically.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    182

    Re: How are UF Staff selected ?

    So what you're saying is that there isn't a big hat with names?

    Leave it to staff to take the magic out of how sites are run
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Beans
    9,213
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How are UF Staff selected ?

    We don't talk about the hat...
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

    Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •