Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: i386 or amd64?

Beans

Re: i386 or amd64?

I think that's a good idea Ingeon.

Beans

Well if mods want to put this in another place that would be ok, as it's turning into me installing the distro, rather than '32bit/64bit' lol A weird development: I put the flash drive back on, and in doing so accidentally turned off the computer, so I rebooted with the flash drive in, and up came the 10.4 but..no gui! Someone mentioned that there was no gui, but I had used the terminal here and there with the previous Ubuntu install, so didn't think it would be so bad, but now I dion't know what to do! so I have two problems, 1)I seem to only have the new install on my flash drive, even though I went through the whole install thing, and two, all I have on screen is my username, asking me for a sudo command. I want to install my Joomla website, read my gmail, surf the web! arrrrgh what to do.
    ps. I am on my Windows computer now, so it's good I can go back and forth.

Beans

Starting to wonder if I am going to be able to do this.. I decided I would go with 9.10 (Karmic Koala) as I want one with a GUI. so I erased and reformatted the flash stick (FAT32, did it on Windows) the used Unetbootin to install the 9.10 on it. Then I tried to install it on my Linux computer (flash stick i USB drive). Weird thing is, I didn't get error messages last time when I was doing the installation (it just didn't seem to be IN my computer as it would only boot from the flash drive when it was all done, and it went back to the old installation when it had to boot from the HD (when I took the stick out). These are the issues I had on this installation, then I finally aborted the installation: "Network Configuration Failed!" "Your network is probably not using DHCP protocol. Alternatively, the DHCP server may be slow or some network hardware is not working properly" I tried it again, this time assigning a host name, still no go. Last option was to configure network manually, but I didn't have the IP handy. I did "do not configure the network at this time" (Ubuntu archive) The specified Ubuntu archive mirror is either not available, or does not have a valid release file on it. Please try a different mirror" I tried several, always with that error message. I finally gave up. I don't know why I'm getting that now, when I didn't before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

What about i686?

Is that i386 or amd64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

x86 is 32 bit, the x meaning i386 through i686
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345