Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: i386 or amd64?

Beans

Re: i386 or amd64?

@mb_webguy, I don't even have 4GB RAm, as I took my computer in a few weeks ago to see if I cou8ld add RAM (I wanted at least 3GB RAM to try and run AutoCAd, but was told I and barely 2? and also it wasn't even upgradeable as there wasn't a spot for that (it's what the guy said). After going back and forth and reading all the posts (and what the computer shop guy said) I think I will go with the 32 bit. It probably could handle 64..but just barely lol. I think it might be a strange computer as I had some little ol guy at a now closed computer shop build it for me about 4 years ago. Some day I would like to build one for myself, should be interesting.

Beans

Ok, so I'm going 32bit, I have my usb flash drive loaded with the i386 server edition 10.4 (that I downloaded and used Unetbootin to load it) and then I had a good link of how to install this from this flash drive... what was it again? Should be relatively easy right? I have to make sure that I set passwords for ftp and MySql etc. at the time of installing Ubuntu (to be used when I install Joomla CMS) or can I leave that for now..I just don't want to get all mixed up and have problems after I install it and start trying to put a Joomla site online. I already have the free nameservers (DynDns) and a paid Domain name from GoDaddy. It's the ftp part that I always get snagged on.

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

I think the "3.2 gigs of RAM" was him misreading his processor speed (3.2 gHz) That would explain it.

And normally I'm a strong advocate for 64 bit, but I think in the OPs case 32 bit would suit him better.
    Last edited by pricetech; May 12th, 2010 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Additional Thought

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There is a button you will have to press while booting to get to the 1-time boot menu, most seem to be f12 or esc... Sometimes f10... It usually tells you.

Note: When reinstalling you will lose all your data, so you should back up your site files before reinstalling.

Beans

Hi again! Well I am all set, all my data including my joomla folder is backed onto my external Lacie HD. Nervous though, so it's good you're back lol
    *edit I tried to change things in my bios that upon reboot, it would boot from usb. I pressed f10, went into the bios, and 'boot from' (something like that) and had a choice: 1st boot, 2nd boot etc. 1st boot said 'Removeable Device' so I tried to choose it. There was a something that said 'A device enclosed in parenthesis has been disabled in the corresponding menu' Thing is, ALL the choices on the list were in parenthesis. Anyway, I choose the remov. dev., then rebooted but alas, it didn't go to the usb and I still have the old Ubuntu on it. The other way I started to try, was on the site from where I dld the distro. It mentioned making a folder called install, on the flash drive, and that I need two certain files but I can't find them. Is it a fault of the flash drive, that I can't boot from it....or my computer? What can I do.
    Last edited by Lakeside5; May 12th, 2010 at 03:46 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, I don't quite understand what you're saying... It sounds like first you said you went into your BIOS settings and made the first boot device USB. Then you went into the one-time boot menu and chose removable device...?

Edit:
    If I didn't misunderstand...
    1. Are you sure you saved your BIOS options on exit?
    2. Was there not an option for USB on the one-time menu?
    3. Did you try just letting it boot up after you changed the BIOS settings to USB first?
    Last edited by Ozymandias_117; May 12th, 2010 at 06:03 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the continued support! I cannot take a screenshot of the bios so here is what I did. I am not sure what is meant by the 'one-time' button but.. Upon restart, I pressed f2, which took me into the BIOS and the 'Bios Set-up Utility' screen, I chose the 'boot' screen, then 'Boot Device Priority', and picked, at the top of the list shown '1st Boot Deevice' (and beside it in parenthesis was [Removable Device], and there was a line in another box beside it stating that things in parenthesis were 'disabled' and I had no way of removing the parenthesis. I hit f10 (the save and quit option) and then the computer continued rebooting but brought me back to the same old Ubuntu sign in (Intrepid Ibex ). So not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Maybe my new flash stick is incapable of this task, but the salesman knew what I wanted it for and said it could do it. I checked, and it had the fat32 format so, I dunno.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

So it sounds like either that bios is incapable of booting from usb or it is possibly disabled somewhere else in the bios setup. I've had one motherboard that you actually had to move a jumper on the board to enable usb boot.

Try to Google your motherboard model number and obtain the manual to it, find out if the motherboard supports usb boot and/or how to enable that ability. Maybe even check for bios updates, there might be one that enables that feature.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ubuntuforums.org profile

I think the forum profiles must get an added option for
    32 or 64bit under 'Additional Information'

- Ubuntu Distro
    - Select your Ubuntu Flavor
    - 32 or 64 bit

Maybe this will assist when reading/searching/answering posts
    and better reflect the demography...
    Last edited by ingeon; March 19th, 2011 at 10:01 AM.

Beans

Hi Jerome. Update: I finally figured out to go to the second option, 'Hard disk drive, and there was my hard drive as first choice, and usb drive as second, so I made the usb the first option, and have just spent the last hour installing my new Ubuntu (Lusty Lynx) or so I thought...it booted from the usb drive, and went through the installation, language, time zone, etc, I chose 'basic installation' over DNS or SSH etc. the last thing I remember was a screen saying 'Following other operating systems have been detected on this computer.7.10, 8.10 etc which were two former installs I had (but I thought were supposed to be wiped out when installing the newer ones???) Then 'Safe to install the boot loader to the master boot record of your 1st hard drive. When your computer boots it should be safe to choose one of these operationg systems or install the grub boot loader to the master boot record' I chose 'yes', and don't recall having any choices after that, and then I was back at the old login screen, of Intrepid Ibex, and my old username/password worked, but not my new one. I dunno, I just wanted to get rid of my old, hacked webserber, and install Lusty Lynx from the flash drive. *edit Oh, I should mention that, as per instructions onscreen, it said to remove the flash stick before rebooting so that it would boot from the installation, and not the usb drive. maybe it wasn't really installed, and so went to the next drive, my hard drive.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast