Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: i386 or amd64?

Beans

Re: i386 or amd64?

Ozymandias_117 I have the Ubuntu download (32bit) and Unetbootin but I don't know what to do with Unetbootin. I clicked on it's icon and nothing happened.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I will assume you are trying to run this in Linux, if otherwise, let me know

1. Did you download the Linux version and not the Windows? (I know, it's a stupid question, but sometimes it happens)

2. Did you make the program executable? (Right-click on the program, select "Permissions" tab and click on "Allow executing file as a program") Or you can open a terminal, navigate to the file and type
    Code:
    chmod +x filename

Beans

Thanks very much, I think I DID dld the wrong one. Going back to the site where I got it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside5 View Post
    Sorry, for posting all this but, srufing Wikipedia was confusing so.. Does that mean I have amd64, and that I have 3.2GB RAM? Thanks.

cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 1
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 15
    model : 4
    model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
    stepping : 3
    cpu MHz : 2800.000
    cache size : 2048 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 2
    core id : 0
    cpu cores : 1
    apicid : 1
    initial apicid : 1
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 5
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm constant_tsc pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl est cid cx16 xtpr
    bogomips : 6399.96
    clflush size : 64
    Bit late, but yes...that is a 64bit CPU. The 'lm' flag means 64bit support (pity they didnt call it 'x86_64' in the flaglist, but thats the way things go)

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    How about 32-bit, because that is all your computer will support. You could download 64-bit, and burn it to a CD. Then you would have a nice shiny coaster to play with

uname -m won't show you what your PC is capable of, only what you currently have installed.

64-bit processing does have more to offer than just more ram. I'll leave that for another thread though as you can't run a 64-bit OS on a 32-bit processor.
    Yes, uname -m will just show what its currently installed....cat /proc/cpuinfo will show you if the CPU is 64bit capable, if you read the flags

Quote Originally Posted by dtfinch View Post
    You are correct, but you never know, it could have been a P4EE (gallatin). They have 2048k of cache but are 32bit only.

BTW, Lakeside5, 3.2GB of RAM? Odd number.....have you got some awful Intel onboard video that is eating 800MB of system RAM? o.O

Beans

Hi cascade9. I'm thinking that the 'missing RAM' may have something to do with my server being hacked? I'm still learning, There's lots about lots that I don't know lol. Someone seriously took over my computer, that's why I'm wiping/re-installing Ubuntu. I seem to recall doing something last year with my computer that needed a 64, as someone thought it was, and it worked but I just talked to my local computer store that had my box in there last year and the guy says he remembers my box is a32 bit so...Who knows but I'm going to proceed as if it is. I really appreciate all the help on here! One more question, regarding the Unetbootin, for ticking off the options: do I tick '10.4 live cd'? Should I use the 10.4 that comes with Unetbootin, or have it look for the one I already downloaded? thanks.

Beans

Hi cascade9. I'm thinking that the 'missing RAM' may have something to do with my server being hacked? I'm still learning, There's lots about lots that I don't know lol. Someone seriously took over my computer, that's why I'm wiping/re-installing Ubuntu.
    *slaps forehead* Gah, I'm dumb tonight...its possible that some of your RAM is being used by onbaord video, but the 3.2GB is probably because your computer has 4GB but its hit the 32bit RAM limit.

Hacking cant 'steal' your RAM, your Ok on that front. Pity about gettign hacked.

I seem to recall doing something last year with my computer that needed a 64, as someone thought it was, and it worked but I just talked to my local computer store that had my box in there last year and the guy says he remembers my box is a32 bit so...Who knows but I'm going to proceed as if it is.
    Fair enough. I'll 99.999% sure it is a 64bit (the 'lm' flag, and being a 2MB cache P4), and if you use 64bit you should see all your RAM. Mind you, with the PAE kernel on 32bit you can see 4GB (or more).

As for the 'guy in the store saying it was 32bit'...seen that happen before. I used to work in a computer shop, and some of the stuff the salepeople (and even the techies) came out with was amazing. I guess that he (she? you never know) doesnt know that some P4s are 64bit. A lot of salespeople/techies think that 64bit x86 Intel CPUs started with Core2Duo.

I really appreciate all the help on here! One more question, regarding the Unetbootin, for ticking off the options: do I tick '10.4 live cd'? Should I use the 10.4 that comes with Unetbootin, or have it look for the one I already downloaded? thanks.
    Not really sure, I havent used unetbootin much

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I usually prefer amd64 except for old systems that don't support it because of hardware limits or have low ram.

On server (Provided a server computer Intel XEON etc) I would definitely go for amd64 bit.

Even Windows server is available in only 64 bit for versions 2008 and 2008 R2.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    Bit late, but yes...that is a 64bit CPU. The 'lm' flag means 64bit support (pity they didnt call it 'x86_64' in the flaglist, but thats the way things go)
    That's good to know, thanks for the info!

to OP: Use the ISO that you downloaded.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oh, and just a side note, I'm just using that computer to learn about web building and web servers, like a hobby so if it has limitations..it has limitations lol It's quite possible I will be getting a new laptop with 4 GBRAM etc so I can run AutoCAd, Photoshop, and other things I need for college..can hardly wait! Thanks again.
    While I normally suggest using a 64-bit OS if your architecture is capable of running it (which yours is, as I have the same CPU and am running the x64 versions of both Ubuntu and Windows 7), if you only have 4GB of memory and are primarily using the computer for web development, then you don't really need a 64-bit system. If, however, you think you might want to upgrade your memory or if you plan to be doing something that would benefit from a 64-bit system like compiling code (which is a possibility if you're going to be writing cgi apps for that web server) or transcoding video, then you may want to go ahead and install the x64 version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm a bit late to the thread but, that lm flag in the flags section from cat /proc/cpu, means it's a 64 bit processor. As a side note I'm starting to see x86_64 in the flags section instead of lm, my newest processor has it.

The 32 bit edition of the server kernel has pae on by default, so you shouldn't be hitting the 4 gb ram cap since pae is a hack which allows a 32 bit kernel to address more ram.

I would go 64 bit, albiet there are extremely few special case reasons to not go 64 bit... most people won't see any problems specifically related to 64 vs 32 bit.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast