Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: i386 or amd64?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: i386 or amd64?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside5 View Post
    Ozymandias_117 thanks, that worked! It says i686, so I should install what then? Thanks
    Do you want Server edition or Desktop edition? (Server doesn't have a GUI)

Beans

Thanks for all your help everyone, K, I would like the server edition of Lusty Lynx (still not sure if for amd64 or i386 lol) and to download it to my usb drive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for all your help everyone, K, I would like the server edition of Lusty Lynx (still not sure if for amd64 or i386 lol) and to download it to my usb drive.
    If you have less than 4GB of RAM there aren't many benefits of running 64bit architecture. Some will disagree with that, but managing large amounts of RAM is one of the primary reasons for going with 64bit.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

32-bit (Since that's what you already have we'll stick with it. For future reference, if you aren't sure, 32-bit works on 64-bit processors, the reverse isn't true.)

Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-server click on alternative options and select 32-bit. Then select a download location (Somewhere near you ) and click on the big green square

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

cpu family : 15
    model : 4
    model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
    cache size : 2048 KB
    That one should support 64 bit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...890.C2.A0nm.29

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When your ISO is done downloading, go and get unetbootin Click on the Disk Image radial, tell it where the ISO is. Then select the correct USB drive at the bottom and click OK. It will run and then you can boot to your USB drive wherever you wanted to install it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How about 32-bit, because that is all your computer will support. You could download 64-bit, and burn it to a CD. Then you would have a nice shiny coaster to play with

uname -m won't show you what your PC is capable of, only what you currently have installed.

64-bit processing does have more to offer than just more ram. I'll leave that for another thread though as you can't run a 64-bit OS on a 32-bit processor.

Beans

Thanks Ozymandias_117 and everyone else, for walking me through this, wish me luck. Boy, computers get old FAST, here I was thinking I had at leaset a 64, as it was only built a few years back1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    uname -m won't show you what your PC is capable of, only what you currently have installed.
    Since some p4s are 64-bit and some aren't, I figured just reinstall with what he already has.

Beans

Oh, and just a side note, I'm just using that computer to learn about web building and web servers, like a hobby so if it has limitations..it has limitations lol It's quite possible I will be getting a new laptop with 4 GBRAM etc so I can run AutoCAd, Photoshop, and other things I need for college..can hardly wait! Thanks again.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast