Thread: HP LaserJet Professional P1102w

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: HP LaserJet Professional P1102w

Quote Originally Posted by lazki View Post
    Great!!!

It works flawlessly on Kubuntu 11.04.
    Yes, also used a win computer first to get an ip for the printer.
    Then installed driver from hp official web page. Then >hp-setup and
    have chosen the second option.

Works (with wireless) great on an HP mini netbook and lenovo tablet, both ubuntu 11.04.

Beans

Hi,

I came up with a sort of tutorial to configure the HP Laserjet p1102w wireless(wifi) printer, connected with USB cable, as well over wifi. I am currently usig Ubuntu 11.04, but it shoud work under older distributions too.

Connecting over USB

Is no big deal. Just plug and the system should configure it automatically. If not install the newest version of HPLIP
    Code:
    sudo  apt-get install hplip hplip-gui
    and then siply add a new printer from MENU System > Administration > Printing or with Terminal
    Code:
    sudo hp-setup -i
    Connecting over wifi = wirelessly

Wireless printing uder ubuntu is a little tricky. The manufacter mostly supports it for Windows, on the installation CD, but it can work on the Linux the same way. Most of the job is to configure the ad-hoc connection. Turn on your printer and on and make a sweep for wireless networks. You shoud find something like HP432CBA. Try to connect to it, but if will probably fail.

Therefore you have to edit this network : Edit connections > Wireless > [choose the network], click Edit and select the IPv4 Settings. Set Method to =Shared to other computers=, Save and try to connect again. It should work now.

Now press the button (x) on your printer for few seconds and wait until it prints the configuration page. Remember the printer cant be in sleep mode, use (I) to wake it. On this configuration page find the IPv4 address. Open your browsver and put the address in there. You should see the printers server page. If yes, it is almost done.

Now we can add the printer. At first install hplip-gui, if isnt installed on your machine.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install hplip-gui
    Then open System > Administration > Printing, click to add a new printer, select =Find network printer=, enter the IPv4 address into the Host column. It would find Jetdirect, click foward, choose or download a proper driver and print a test page.

Hope that it helped.

Beans

The plugin (hplip-3.11.7-plugin.run) fails to install in Lucid Lynx 10.04. Also hp-wificonfig fails, so WiFi-connection cannot be established. Error logs:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bu...to-install.txt
    Last edited by HandeH; August 8th, 2011 at 03:31 PM.

Beans

The plugin can be installed if you change your locale to English, reboot/re-login and try again. But the hp-wificonfig still fails.

So currently wireless printing is not possible in Lucid Lynx. There is a bug report currently in progress:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had issues with this printer too, and the solution was this:

install the foo2zjs driver from the link on page 1 of the thread, follow the instructions as far as you can, and if you get stuck at the proprietary-plugin stage
    open firefox and navigate to http://localhost:631 which is your cups interface
    then choose printers in the menu bar, then add new printer - your printer needs to be connected at this point - then select the printer from the list and in the driver-plugin option at the bottom, select browse, and find the plugin in @ $ /usr/share/ppd/foo2zjs/HP-LaserJet_Pro_P1102.ppd.gz
    and that should take care of it.
    The reason I'm posting this is that no matter which of the above suggestions I followed, I couldn't get any of the scripts to accept or even find the correct plugin

so again, here is where you'll find it: $ /usr/share/ppd/foo2zjs/HP-LaserJet_Pro_P1102.ppd.gz

thanks to the $ locate command
    Kipling - "if"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ubuntu 11.04

Alright, I have everything downloaded. I am so close! I am at the part under HP Device Manager where it wants me to "Select from discovered devices" . The p1102w won't show up!

I can get wireless to work on windows 7.I've tried it with the printer connected via USB. It will print. Just not with the wireless yet.I've done the System/Admin/Printer check stuff.
    To the best of my knowledge I have downloaded everything I need to download.

Any idea what I may have missed to get this to work?

Thanks for your help in advance.
    "Mankind has always watched the stars. If you'd look at the sky you can see the beginning of time."

Beans

You can hunt and hunt for a Linux solution, but it's a simple Windows/HP screwup. There are two small programs in the Rom of the printer, Smart Install 32 and 64. Run the setup disk/software and look for a configuration link to sinstall32.exe or sinstall64.exe. You have to do this in windows, although it might be possible in Wine.

Anyway, these little programs make the printer look like a CD drive to all the Linux print stuff. Running the appropriate configuration to DISable them is what works. Silly me, I ran them, rebooted to Hybryde Ubuntu, and it still wouldn't see the printer. Several days later I thought to powercycle the printer. Duh, Hybryde Ubuntu immediately notice, registered, and set up the printer.

Now I should see if the dang thing still runs under Windows...

Good luck, all!

Beans

I also have this printer and struggle to make it work reliably under Ubuntu. I have had it working numerous times wirelessly and then it just loses its allocated ip address and thats it,,game over.

I have just logged on to my router and there is now no allocated ip address for the printer.

The other evening i had to print some DL envelopes and gave up with Ubuntu in the end as there was no way i could sort out the correct alignment.

I flipped over to Vista 7 and everything worked beautifully.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234