Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HP LaserJet Professional P1102w

Beans

Re: HP LaserJet Professional P1102w

I finally got around to setting a wireless connection rather than over USB, since I just got a new wireless router. Here are the steps I used to set up WPA (AES):

Press the wireless button on the printer and you should get a blinking blue light.

Push the x down and to print off a test page from the printer that shows all the default network configuration. The default gateway is the location of the printer, which for me was 169.254.156.163. It will also show an SSID.

By default the printer is set up as an ad hoc network, and you can connect directly to the printer at the wireless SSID HPEEE9F1. It's open, no encryption. After connecting to printer's access point, you should be able to view the printer admin pages at a url like:

http://PRINTER_DEFAULT_GATEWAY

Then under Networking -> Wireless changes settings to:

Infrastructure
    Change SSID to your wireless router
    Set security mode and passphrase

The wi-fi light should be solid blue now, and it will kick you off the access point HPEEE9F1. Push the x down and printed off a test page again, if you want the new IP address of the printer.

Now, for a standard internet connection, connect again to your wireless router. You won't be able to connect to the internet via the printer.

Then I installed hplip (latest version from hp) and ran hp-setup

Select "network printer" (second option), not the wireless option, and you should see it in the list.

----

One other thing I noticed is that Bonjour (device discovery) is enabled by default, so if the printer's on the network you can access the printer's admin page directly at:

http://npieee9f1.local./
    Last edited by yaaarrrgg; April 7th, 2011 at 05:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i was having all kinds of trouble with this printer install. i tried the generic drivers and it was a no go. i went to sourceforge and downloaded the newest hplip drivers as suggested above and it works great. thanks to all of you for the help and informations. i will try to return the favor sometime by posting my solutions to problems etc.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yaaarrrgg View Post
    Does that require an open wi-fi access point? My wireless router is set up with WPA, and I didn't see a way to configure this in the printer.
    I connected mine to a WinXP machine with the USB cable that came with it. I then followed the XP install process.
    During that process I gave the printer the ssid and WEP/WPA keys for my wireless network.

I then disconnected the printer USB cable from the windows machine.

I then tried the built in Ubuntu (Lynx) method of setting up this printer. It could connect to the printer, and see it on the network, but it could not print a test page.

I downloaded the HPLIP from sourceforge, and followed instructions.
    I chose 802.11/wireless as the connection method during setup.
    I can now print test pages to the printer.

However my linux box is a desktop and not using wifi. it is a wired connection to a router with wifi and 802.11 ports. So the connection is 802.11 to the router, then wireless wifi from the router to the printer. That works. At least for test pages.

If I can get my laptop to go direct wifi - wifi i will let the group know. (Have to install hplip on the laptop first.)

pgmer6809

PS -- OK it works wireless to wireless. Laptop to printer with no wires connected to either machine. test pages and openOffice writer.
    pgmer6809
    Last edited by pgmer6809; February 27th, 2011 at 02:09 AM.

Beans

Question Re: HP LaserJet Professional P1102w

Well, there is a problem. But at first, thank you yaaarrrgg for this really good tutorial!

So I used a W32 netbook to connect wirelessly to the printer at first, because Ubuntu didn't want to do that with an unsecured connection. I registered the printer in my local wireless network. Everything was fine.

Now to the problem: When I try to register the printer (as "network connection" printer as described) hplip wants to download some driver stuff from HP, but it fails:

On hplipopensource I felt lost a little bit. So how can I install these binary additional files? hplip also offered me to use a local copy of the file(s) needed - so if anybody has it right now, don't be shy

Thanks a lot, seems to be a great printer. Does anyone want to have my old HP Laserjet 4P?

Rgds,
    Christian

P.S.: Just found out that you can install this printer right through the system configuration menu, that's most easy. But it would be still nice to know how to solve the problem above.
    Last edited by CDrewing; April 6th, 2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: added P.S.

Beans

My instructions were not totally clear on a point... you can't access the internet while connected directly to the printer. You'll need to connect back to your wireless router, to pull down the hplip binary driver.

Thank you for the feedback. I updated my instructions.

Beans

Well, of course I am not trying to download the driver while being directly connected with the printer

I receive this dialogue box when the printer is already installed and connected with my local network. So internet access wouldn't be a problem.

I ran the gui command in the shell but see yourself:

1: 2:

3: 4:

5:

And this is my shell:

Code:
    cdrewing@cdrewing-desktop:~$ sh -c 'STARTED_FROM_MENU=yes /usr/bin/hp-toolbox'

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.10.6)
    HP Device Manager ver. 15.0

Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
    This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
    under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.10.6)
    System Tray Status Service ver. 2.0

Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
    This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
    under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:127: RuntimeWarning: PyOS_InputHook is not available for interactive use of PyGTK
      set_interactive(1)
    ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.396:/: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
    cdrewing@cdrewing-desktop:~$
    Perhaps this can give you a hint where the problem is.

Doesn't anybody else have the same problem with hplip?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CDrewing View Post
    Well, of course I am not trying to download the driver while being directly connected with the printer

Perhaps this can give you a hint where the problem is.

Doesn't anybody else have the same problem with hplip?
    Hmm, it doesn't look like anything is wrong on your end then. It *should* just download from the internet. It just worked automatically when I ran it. If your local internet connection is good, I would think a few things might be the problem:

1. hp is having a network issue and not providing the binary drivers. this could be on hp's end.

2. try dropping to a older/newer version of hplip. maybe there is a bug in the version of hplip.

3. are you running any custom firewall/proxy configurations? If you can peek at the driver url it's trying to hit (maybe with wireshark or router logs) I wonder if you can ping the address or pull it down via a web browser. Or if something along the connection is blocking it.

Beans

I got it to work.

First I visited http://sourceforge.net/projects/hplip/ and downloaded hplip-3.11.3a.run to my home folder.

After looking a bit at the .run file, not sure what to do with it, I went to http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...ard/index.html and entered my version and all that stuff it asks for. I'm not sure, it might have downloaded hplip-3.11.3a.run once more, making my first download pointless.

Once done with the download I followed the instructions, opened up a terminal, wrote sh hplip-3.11.3a.run and picked the automatic install. It spent 8-10 minutes installing and when I was asked if I wanted a restart or re-plugin I picked ignore as my printer is wireless. When the graphic UI popped up I picked Network/Ethernet/Wireless and basically rolled with the punches.

It asked me if I wanted to install some hp manager thingy too and I said yes.

It works like a charm, default install, nice and easy and now I'm printing over wifi.

Beans

I had the same error with the binary plugin. After googling for 45 minutes, I figured it out.

1.) First Install hplip
    2.) In terminal "Sudo hp-plugin"
    3.) Follow instructions for the plugin
    4.) "Sudo hp-setup" option 2 for direct wireless connection

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Talking Re: HP LaserJet Professional P1102w

Quote Originally Posted by ReckmanR View Post
    I had the same error with the binary plugin. After googling for 45 minutes, I figured it out.

1.) First Install hplip
    2.) In terminal "Sudo hp-plugin"
    3.) Follow instructions for the plugin
    4.) "Sudo hp-setup" option 2 for direct wireless connection

Great!!!

It works flawlessly on Kubuntu 11.04.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast