Thread: mailutils broken in 10.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

mailutils broken in 10.04?

I installed mailutils in Karmic Koala and have a number of scripts which use the following to send emails alerting me of events that require my attention:
    Code:
    echo "Body of email." | mail -s "Subject" "username@domain.com"
    The email conveniently comes from username@computername. In Karmic Koala all I had to do was install mailutils using apt-get and everything worked perfectly. After installing Lucid Lynx I used apt-get to install mailutils, but the previously mentioned line of code doesn't work anymore. There's no error; mail executes the command as if it's working, but the email is never received. Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: mailutils broken in 10.04?

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but did you manage to fix the issue? I might have encountered the same, but still struggling ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1682127 ).... Some scripts I might add to the sudoers file, but that solution isn't optimal for all my exising scripts.
    No matter how great your product is, if you don't throw time and money against it it's a sh#tt# system. ubuntu <-> apple <-> microsoft

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mutrax View Post
    Sorry for reviving this old thread, but did you manage to fix the issue? I might have encountered the same, but still struggling ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1682127 ).... Some scripts I might add to the sudoers file, but that solution isn't optimal for all my exising scripts.
    Install the bsd-mailx & postfix packages.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    Install the bsd-mailx & postfix packages.
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

but I have a lot of scripts depending on the mailutils mail synthax, plus I got a fully ( well yeah...) fetchmail / postfix / dovecot mailserver running, don't want to break anything there... I'll give it a try anyhow.

Thanks,

EDIT>
    fixed... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1682127
    Last edited by mutrax; February 7th, 2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Shamefull fix...
    No matter how great your product is, if you don't throw time and money against it it's a sh#tt# system. ubuntu <-> apple <-> microsoft