Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded 3 PC's - different kernels

Beans

Upgraded 3 PC's - different kernels

I just upgraded 3 PC's (a 32 bit netbook, 32 bit laptop, 64 bit desktop). Both the 32 bit netbook and 64 bit desktop are running the 2.6.32-22-generic kernel, but the 32 bit laptop is running 2.6.31-14-generic kernel.

Anyone know how that happened? How do I update the kernel to 2.6.32-22-generic?

Re: Upgraded 3 PC's - different kernels

How do I update the kernel to 2.6.32-22-generic?
    System > Administration > Update Manager
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

2.6.31-14-generic kernel is Karmic Koala.

Run this to confirm:
    Code:
     lsb_release -a
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I'm running into other problems now. The kernel was installed but grub was defaulting to .31. I updated grub to grub2 which (I think) chose the latest kernel as default. Now laptop won't boot off kernel. I'm trying to repair grub and go back to .31

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

did you do an upgrade and said to keep the old menu.lst from grub legacy. that then requires you to manually enter a new entry for the new kernel. You can copy an old entry and update it to the new kernel and boot. Then run update-grub.

I still like grub2, but it is new and different. A few do not get over the differences or have some problem and are not willing to deal with it.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I was able to repair/figure out grub2 and get it to default to .31 kernel, so grub is no longer an issue. But now I need to work out why the .32 kernel is not working on the laptop and netbook. From the forums here, I'm not alone in this regard and it seems it may be intel graphics based.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

if you've got an intel graphics card, then the usual fix is to either add i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0 to your boot

(when grub starts press e and add the above before "quiet splash")

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davidmohammed View Post
    if you've got an intel graphics card, then the usual fix is to either add i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0 to your boot

(when grub starts press e and add the above before "quiet splash")
    Yes, the i915.modeset=1 kernel parameter allowed me to boot. It just seems the system is a little slower than with the .31 kernel. But that may just be me.

so what does that parameter doing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

it enables kernel mode setting (kms) - google the wikipedia definition!

basically intel graphics is screwed up with the lucid kernel and all upstream kernels. There is hope that some fixes are coming soon - probably will have to wait a few months though.

Some of the upstream xorg-edgers graphics are better if you are willing to experiment (various threads on how to add this ppa).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by davidmohammed View Post
    basically intel graphics is screwed up with the lucid kernel and all upstream kernels.
    What's wrong with it? My netbook is working fine with some crappy Intel graphics chip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast